1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help wiring 01' ram

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nchiapet, Nov 3, 2014.

1. nchiapet

nchiapet Junior Member

I bought a 2001 ram and Am putting a 2 plug ultramount plow on it. Have had the plow since brand new back in 2003 was on our other ram but we are selling that truck due to rust. I have a relay style harness and for some reason I am getting a dim highbeam light in truck meaning feedback is coming from somewhere? I have no idea where to start for its a brand new relay style harness I put in. Marker lights work and truck lights turn off when plow is connected just no plow lights. There is 14.4 Volts at the back of the head lights at every terminal these are the sealed beams. Thanks guys really would appreciate some advice on where I may have went wrong or what to check. Again it's a 2 plug ultra mount with a relay style harness running it.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck your gnd.
    Also, did you mess.with the headlight plug at the plow headlights?
    Also, Ck to.see if your trk is pos or neg switched for the lights

3. nchiapet

nchiapet Junior Member

How will I know if it's pos or negative ??

4. dieselss

Test light the headlights with them turned on. Clamp on negative, point on the wire, lights....positive.
    Clamp on positive, point on wire....lights negative

5. nchiapet

nchiapet Junior Member

Okay so the white wire on the back of the headlights is getting 12 volts and the other two are getting nothing when white according to diagram on the plow lights should be ground what the heck is going on season is upon me and I have no headlights

6. dieselss

What? Pos or negative? 12v ain't really telling me anything pertaining to your problem.
    You have low, high, and ground at the headlight plug.
    Low, and high are either neg switched, or positive switch. And your "gnd" is either gunna be neg (gnd) or pos.
    That's what we're trying to.figure out.

7. nchiapet

nchiapet Junior Member

On the headlights of the plow the wire that is labeled ground on the diagram has voltage and the wires that are labeled high and low beam have no ground and the voltage coming to the headlight ground is coming from the white wire coming off the low beam plow relay if I pull the two fuses out of the fuse holders that connect to the positive post the voltage on the ground wire goes away
    Is there a wiring diagram for repair ends on here it may be done wrong because we were joe the ones to do it. Sorry for the late info on this part.

8. dieselss

9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

what year was your other Ram that this wiring came off of? Or you can see what part numbers are on the little tags on the harnesses. If that was older than 99 this truck is going to need different wiring for the lights to work properly.