1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP which plow????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by buns79, Jan 16, 2010.

1. buns79

buns79 Junior Member

Ok guys I have a 2005 f150 with a 4.6 and the front axle weight is 3400# it is a reg. cad with a 6.5 bed, I want to put a plow on just to do driveways nothing major because I drive a plow for the city of springfield IL full time so I wont have time to make money with it but i do have to care of my parents an grandparents drive. I dont want a homeowner plow but would like a snowdogg md75 or western hts 75 i will be putting timbrens on and ballast which plow would be best for backdragging? And any other do and donts Thanks.... Oh and the truck has a leveling kit already installed.

2. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

With my past experience of a Boss and a Western, The Boss is the best. A 7' Sport Duty would work for your truck. I have looked at other plows, but I checked reviews here on them and alot of the other brands have small issues. These small issues are not worth it when you spend that kind of money. You could also get into smaller lots and this plow should handle them well. Lastly, you get a great resale value should you ever decide to part with it. Good luck

3. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

fisher for back drag are relly good

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sno-Way is the first choice for that truck. Lightweight, but Down Pressure available for good scraping or backdragging. The Western HTS/Fisher HT are also lightweight and have a Scrape Lock function to help with backdragging. Not true DP, but better than nothing. I don't know if the Boss Sport Duty offers anything like that or not, but Boss makes a fine plow. You don't need a heavy duty plow for the little bit you are doing. And your truck will be happier with one of the lightweights too.

5. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

You may want to go more than 7'. Too narrow and you will be driving over snow. I think it would hold a 7.5' no problem

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely 7.5.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Dealer service and support is MORE important then brand

8. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

I'd go with a 7'6" Western Midweight, but thats just my opinion. Good luck!

9. MNSnowplower

MNSnowplower Junior Member
    from MN

With the 3400lb front axle rating, Western's plow selection gives the Suburbanite as the only choice. Sno Way has a 7' 6" 22 Series plow that is 284 lbs. With Down Pressure, it would be a very nice setup for your truck without being too hard on it.