1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help - Which Boss for my new 3500HD?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by procutsnow, Oct 9, 2010.

1. procutsnow

procutsnow Member

Hello All,

I've been reading/researching on Plowsite for a while now and just making my first post. I need some expert advice before I buy the plow for my new truck. I ordered a 2011 Chevy 3500HD regular cab, long box, 6.0 gasser, with the snow plow prep, HD trailering equipment package and 4.10 gears.

I own two small apartment complexes I will be plowing, one with about 1000' total of 12' wide driveway, gravel/crushed stone, and the other is a small lot (about 6000 square feet) gravel/crushed stone. I will also be plowing my personal residence driveway which is paved about 2000 square feet, a few neighborhood driveways, and one commercial paved parking lot (12,000 square feet).

My questions being new to plowing with a truck (I have plowed with my KQ 700 and a ' moose plow) I'm thinking a 9'2" XT with the Smarttouch controller. Any opinions? A friend of mine is suggesting the joystick but he's been plowing for 20 years with the joystick and I think is just resistant to change.

Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

shoes (for the gravel) and a deflector
  3. koosh925

koosh925 Junior Member

I personally like using a joy stick.
  4. procutsnow

procutsnow Member

I've heard from proponents of both controls, I have no experience with either so I can start from scratch. Just trying to figure out which type.
  5. upst8ny

upst8ny Junior Member

I like having the control in my hand, I steer with my left hand and control the plow and shift at the same time with my right.
    works good for me.

It sounds like your plow choice should work for you

Good Luck with it
  6. procutsnow

procutsnow Member

Thanks, I am leaning towards the handheld. Just seems more flexible to me. I think its going to be the 9'2" without wings versus the 8'2" with. I don't think the truck will have any problem pushing the 9'2" even up here in Northern NY.
  7. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

If the 9'2" isn't too big for any of your drives, get that over the 8 footer. Otherwise you will regret it. Welcome to plowsite, lots of good info on here.
    I'd go with the handheld controller, I like my Fishstik better than the joysticks.
  8. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I would reccomend the handheld controller. Definately get the 9'2" as long as it will fit everywhere you gotta get in to. Yes definately to the rubber deflector too. Enjoy your new boss!
  9. procutsnow

procutsnow Member

I ordered (reserved) a 9'2" VXT with the handheld and smartlocks this morning. They have all of the accessories in stock if I need them (they actually talked me out of the deflector). Truck should be here in 2 weeks, hope the snow holds out that long!
  10. AlaskaShooTer

AlaskaShooTer Member

My advice is go with the defector if you get much dry powder where you'll be working with this plow. Otherwise you'll have to limit your plowing speed to a very slow pace. Once you get rolling the snow rolls up over the hood and plasters the windshield

I bought my current 9'2" V plow up in Juneau, AK and the snow there didn't require the deflector however once I moved to where I live now the snow here is much fluffier and not like the wet concrete I plowed in AK.

Enjoy your new plow and truck.

11. procutsnow

procutsnow Member

We generally get mostly heavier wet snow, not much "fluffy" stuff. I am about 25 south of the Canadian border in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains. I have been talking to a bunch of buddies that plow including some pros and nobody runs a deflector. I am going to see how it goes in December and January and if I need one I'll pop on it then.

I'm lucky to have a well stocked Boss dealer (and Kubota) right here so I can always grab parts if I need them.