1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!!! Where is the tire key to unlock Dodge Durango tire??? A client has a flat!!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MSS Mow, Dec 31, 2006.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

He can't find the key to unlock the locking lugnut on their 2005 Dodge Durango.

Help!!

2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

It is probably in his glovebox. The one for my 2500 was in there. Is it a cable lock going around the tire?

3. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

No, it is the actual lugnut that requires a special key. Each tire has 1 "locking lugnut". Getting the spare tire out isn't a problem.

The key is not in the glove box either. Already looked. :cry:

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Is it wired to the stock lugwrench?

5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

its there somewhere where he should know the dealer gave it to them its not hidden so he must have thought what is this and said throw it out in the towing business i alwasy get tire changes with people like this

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A locking lug-nut can be removed with out the key by welding a nut to it.

I've had limited results removing them using a small pipe wrench.

Call the dealer.

7. J29

J29 Senior Member

DBL,
    I hear you on that one, I get calls all the time and the people have no clue what you're talking about when you ask where the locking lug is. Just have to hook it and go. You guys may wanna look in the hatch area where the jack and what not is. J.

8. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

It's possible, but not likely. This guy is pretty mechanical ( a lot more than me) but he's in a bind because he lives in PA but is here at his second home just for the holidays and has no tools with him. Who knows, maybe he did toss it. I just don't think so. I guess that's the only explanation at this point though. :realmad:

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

That's a good idea about welding a nut to it.

Can't call the dealer though, it's Sunday, and tomorrow is New Years. Plus, nearest dealer is 100 miles away. He's from PA, so his dealer is like 1500 miles away. :dizzy:

10. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I hear him too.

Jack is under rear seat, and we have torn the vehicle apart looking for it. No luck.

I'll update later when we get it off. Probably will force an impact socket on it, and do it that way. Thanks everyone for the help.

11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I've had luck removing one with an impact socket that just fits over the outside of the locknut but wont go all the way on. Apply firm, really firm pressure toward the wheel with an impact gun and it may come off. Lapping compound or carborundum applied helped me. Vise grips worked once also. There are special sockets avalable for this too.

12. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

take it to a shop. we have good luck using an air hammer a just catching the outside to break it loose ive had customer's throw out there wheel lock key because they had no clue what it was.pipe wrench wont work the lock is hardend steel. sometimes driving a 12pt socket will work

John

13. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

An air chisel will losen it up in a minute. ANd here is a novel idea. Take the other 3 off also.

14. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Solved!

Problem solved!

Thank you all for your ideas!

I ended up driving an air socket on it and using a breaker bar to loosen it. Piece of cake after that.

All shops in the area were closed due to being a Sunday AND New Years Eve Day. Tow truck towed it to their house but wouldn't remove the wheel without the "key".

Again, thank you all for your help.

15. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I have a set of sockets to remove those locking nuts....Rob

16. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Craftsman sells a socket set (impact) that will work on locking type nuts OR any stripped edge nut or bolt.

17. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

Why the hell not? As long as the driver has the correct keys, registration, and a license to match the registration to the face, all he had to do was change a tire, right???

Amazing. Don't recommend that towing company to anyone.

18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Duh, because they "key" to remove the lug nut was missing!
    The tow driver is not going to use any home remedy's as have been suggested above on the side of the road, OR in your driveway for that matter- he's liable if he causes damage.
    Most of those locking lugnuts share a common key from manufacturer to manufacturer, but if you don;t have the one for your car IN your car it's your problem.

19. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

You would be surprised what a driver will carry with him. A universal kit is small and easy to carry.
    Not if the customer releases the company, and they will if they are stuck on the side of the road.
    He states wouldn't remove the key. This tells me that the driver was lazy or greedy.

I have many miles in a wrecker and saw all sorts of problems on the road. I was reasonable and so was my boss. It's just what I believe in for giving good service.

Jason

Oh, and why should we quit whining about the weather? lol This IS a plowing site!!

20. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

He states wouldn't remove the key. This tells me that the driver was lazy or greedy.

I have many miles in a wrecker and saw all sorts of problems on the road. I was reasonable and so was my boss. It's just what I believe in for giving good service.

Jason

Oh, and why should we quit whining about the weather? lol This IS a plowing site!![/QUOTE]

I think Lazy is the key here. It was snowing at the time, and he didn't want to deal with it in the snow.