1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help...whats the difference

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cwiggi1, May 21, 2010.

1. cwiggi1

cwiggi1 Junior Member
    from USA

Can someone please explain to me the difference between Boss, Meyer, Western, Fisher, Blizzard, or Snow Dogg?

Is it all just personal preference and price? Which is the best and which is the cheapest?

2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

You're already on the site, why not look around, do some reading and probably answer your own question? Realize before you start that, as with any "best/cheapest" question, there is no answer. This site is all about plowing and equipment and includes forums dedicated to each major plow manufacturer. There's enough info. Wait, I'll just answer it: They're all the same, just different colors.
  3. cwiggi1

cwiggi1 Junior Member
    from USA

Let me ask for your opinion in another way. I am not a plow profossional but am trying to learn about the industry. I am trying to gauge how import brand name is for the buying decision. Is that what really drives teh sale here?

Also, do the manufacturers offer warranties and are they similar across the board?
  4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Well boss has direct lift, and I think the others are the same, but I believe snow dogg has down pressure which is a con about boss, boss mount is fairly quick and I think western is just a couple extra pins. I am a boss fan so I will recomend boss, but can't give you much input on other due to the fact that boss is the only plow I run. As for warrenty, I have no idea!
  5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Brand names generally have reputations.

Most contractors tend to be loyal to a brand until forced to look for another.

For instance. my first truck plow was a Western. and we have chosen to stick to that brand. Dealer support also had alot to do with it and interchangeability between trucks is nice when an unexpected breakdown happens.

At the end of the day, different contractors buy a particular brand for different reasons, they're reasons all differ. It doesnt necessarily mean one brand is better, just more preferred. :drinkup:
  6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Warranties amongst brands are similar give or take a year. The most important factor here should not necessarily be brand, but rather a dealer that will support the product after the sale. Finding a dealer that is open to provide parts and service when the snow is falling should outweigh brand everyday.
  7. ajslands

That's why I said boss is direct lift, the others are the same meaning not direct lift,

W/e, I had the snow part right.
  8. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Western ,fisher,blizzard are all made by the or owned by the same company . Western is the best, fisher,blizzard are second
    i am western kind of guy but i used TO own meyers to its all what you want to spend what kind of plowing your doing commercial or res,
    and what its going on, is plow to heavy or to lite for my truck
    the best thing to do is look at the top of the home page click on some plow manufacturers websites and look around on them then see if you can look at a couple dealers around by your area and they should have some on display and you can see for self .

1996 f250 7.6 western pro plow
  9. ajslands

Alot of sites have a little tab you can click on that says "choose your plow" or "select your plow" something of that nature and click on it and it'll help you find out which plows are best for your vehicl..