1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help - What truck to buy for plowing??

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by tedrowmi, Feb 9, 2005.

1. tedrowmi

tedrowmi Junior Member

I'm responsible at the company I work at for choosing a new truck to use for plowing. I've had quoted out 4x4 3/4 ton truck with heavy duty snow plow prep group in Ford F250, Dodge ram 2500ST, and Chevy 2500. I own myself a 2002 4x4 Ram 1500 and have had no problems through 72,000 miles, but have no idea how Rams hold up to plowing. Any recommendations on which truck will work best with the least amount of trouble?

DERBYDON Member

All 3 will hold up for plowing. If you're comfortable with Dodge - go Dodge.

I use a Chevy. Seems like more Chevy and Ford than any other out there.

Two issues with the Chevy's to consider.

1. Ground clearance from the factory sets lower. I installed Timbren springs to replace factory bump stop. Definitely a necessity, I think, for a Chevy.

2. Some Chevy's have a tendency to run hot when traveling highway with plow. A lot of fixes out there. If you're working for your company at one location, this shouldn't be an issue. Personally, I angle my plow over in transport, keep a window cracked or open and run the heater in the cab wide open to pull more air out of the engine compartment.
  3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Follow your gut. And get a 350 or 3500 in the single rear wheel. You won't regret it.
  4. E&B

E&B Member

2003 F350 for sale w/8' fisher blade? no timbrens or other mods needed with a Ford.