1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! What truck is better

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lowrider57, Mar 8, 2015.

1. lowrider57

lowrider57 Member

Need to know what everyone's opinion is on which truck is better for plowing. 2005 Chevy 1500 4.9L extended cab or 2005 Dodge 1500 5.7 Hemi with crew cab. Thank you

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Neither get a Ford. :rolleyes:

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Well I'd get a 2500, but if I had to choose between those two half tons, I'd get the dodge.

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Awful lot of questions lately about 1/2 ton trucks being used as plow vehicles.

Residential? your home use only, it wouldn't make any difference. Any of the big 4 would do fine.

Commercial ? NEITHER.... 3/4 ton or larger is the only way to fly.

5. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

If your looking used a 2005ish 3/4 ton would not be much if any more money,,may be a little harder to find a clean one but when in that used catagory I did not find much if any pricing difference.

Had to pick out of your 2 the chevy

6. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

What color are they? XD

7. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Ten year old trucks are only as good as your repair facility, dealership and or their previous owners. At this point brand a pretty much non issue.

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

The Dodge, but what ya plowing, and what are you going to put on for a plow? Ford F-250 the way to go!

9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Am i missing something? 4? Who's the 4th?

10. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

Nissan? :laughing:

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed with an 04 dodge 1500. I wouldn't try it again. Buy a 2500, the price difference is minimal

12. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

13. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

14. flyguyirvin65

flyguyirvin65 Member

Smart car you will save on gas

15. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

I would pick

the chevy but im bias toward gm. As far as 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton back n forth, I plowed with a blazer for 6 years, a 96 short bed chevy for 2 and a 98 chevy 1/2 ton short bed for 4 years. All 3 of them had no issues as far as plowing.,normal wear and tear. I think the reason people here are saying 3/4 ton is what you need they probably know somebody that had bad luck or just simply beat the sh-- out of their equipment. I plow with a guy who plows up to 30 m.p.h in a parking lot not streets.Thats a 3/4 ton Ford and you name it its been fixed or replaced. Example of this he made $4500.last year and spent $4,000. in repairs. He`s not the only one I know who hammers their truck plowing. I plowed many years with a 1/2 ton for many years and had no plow related issues. The only reason I went with a 1 ton was because I needed to haul a 9,000 lb. fifth wheel. I got paid the same as a 3/4 ton with an 8 footer too.

16. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

So you are comparing a 3/4 ton that was beaten to hell to a 1/2 ton that was most likely babied? The point of the larger truck is it's ability to carry more weight, be it a larger plow or large spreader. And if that guy only made $4500 and put $4000 into his truck he should give up on plowing.

17. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

My 04 Dodge 1500 does just fine.. thank you very much...

Either will be fine imho. Might ome down to MPG. My 04 has a 4.7 and MPG sucks.

Most of the wuestion has more to do with HOW you use your equipment and WHAT you are trying to do with it. Know the limits and treat them well and they will both work for you.

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Wasn't criticize you just saying I wouldn't try it again. FWIW, I plowed driveways with mine and it completely fell apart which is why I bought a 3/4 ton.... And you're welcome

19. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I do driveways but only a few and the combo of the truck /plow in last 5 winters has almost paid for itself.

I put new shocks on the truck, but they were long overdue. Have a mechanic friend who went through it when I bought it and we did brakes and wheel hub.
    After 5 years to date I have one tie rod end that is starting to go. Will put that in when it warms up and the normal EVAP hose going. again when it warms up...

And thankyou....

20. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Plow with a half ton dosge and it is fine. I'm getting paid hourly same rate as guys with more expensive set ups that get worse gas mileage and can do the job faster. They are loosing money on both ends.