1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help what do i charge

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Eric78Fordzilla, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Eric78Fordzilla

Eric78Fordzilla Junior Member

what do you guys use as a rule of thumb for charging people. my first year a couple of driveways what do i use as a guage on money i live in southwest michigan snows coming and i need to bid on a couple other places any ideas. i have no clue.:help:
  2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Try a search,,,this is like ultrrrrrrrra common.
  3. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I use the rule of $1 per min of plowing residential and $2 per min commercial. And adjust accordingly. Im sure that is just a basic starting point and depends on you and your area. Im sure most guy wont agree.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I use the rule of thumb that I need to make a profit to stay in business. Before that I need to cover my overhead and expenses.
  5. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I'll drink to that! Not everybody has the same overhead.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

$25.00 ,10% off if they pay before it snows.
  7. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I say the rule of thumb is...Save yourself the aggrevation and stress and get some sleep at night while I run around like a chicken with my head cut off, trying to get everything done before all the morons start heading out to work in their fancy Mercedes and Volvos.

Sorry, I'm just trying to get into the snow plowing spirit!
  8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

then go sub to a company that does have a clue. Then next year think about bidding your own work. You will learn alot from subbing, and it alllows you to focus more on the task at hand than dealing with customers starting out.

And yes, I just checked, the SEARCH button is still working.