1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!!!!!!!! What can I use on this for ice control?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by RYDER, Jan 30, 2007.

1. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

One of my new contracts is a New small strip mall that has color stamped concrete tiles all along the front of the building right in front of all the doors. I was told for the first 2 yrs they can not put salt on it or any thing with calcium chloride in it or it will stain it. SO CAN I USE FOR ICE CONTROL ON THEM?:dizzy::cry:

CJSLAWNSERVICE Senior Member

Do you mean anything with sodium chloride? Calcium chloride should be pretty safe , or mag. chloride, ice devil , other non-sodium based ice melters etc.... Get some experts advice, I am new at this myself!!!
  3. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

It can not have any chloride.
  4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

follow around a dot truck before the storm with a bucket and stock up on the bryme or bryne what ever it is and use that
  5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Ice Devil is something like 97% sodium!
  6. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

Peladow, calcium pellets, expensive, safe for stamped & brick and very effective
  7. sunriseturf

sunriseturf Member

Try using calcium magnesium acetate or CMA. Check to make sure it's safe for the application your looking for.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

CMA or potassium acetate. Potassium acetate is also known as NC3000 and is available from Michigan Turf & Ornamental\Farmers Co-op.

DBL, brine is the same thing you are applying if you are using salt. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: In reality, you use brine to melt the snow on your lots and walks.

Mean4X4, Peladow is calcium CHLORIDE, he stated no chlorides.
  9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

DO NOT USE Peladow (calcium chloride)!!!! This stuff is almost as HIGHLY corrosive as sodium and eats up anything it touches! You need something that is an acetate. First of all, is the walkway finished and sealed? The thing to know about concrete damage from de-icing is that it is not a chemical reaction, it is physical. Concrete is porous, and when the stuff melts, it goes down into the pores. When it refreezes, it expands and causes the surface damage. THIS is what does the damage. If a walk is sealed properly and maintained with sealer, this damage can be kept minimal.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  10. customers_snow

customers_snow Member
    from 48843

This always poses an interesting question. There is no solid ice melter that would pass your customer's test. Instead, I would suggest using a liquid which has proven to be safe and has a a corrosion index less than distilled water. Magic Liquid 0 would work.

Other than application equipment, the main difference in using a liquid vs a solid is expectation. You should not expect to melt as much snow and ice with a liquid as a solid. You will need to be more pro-active in clearing as much snow from the walks as possible.

Call me if you want more information on the Magic 0. My number is 248-676-0700.
  11. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser Senior Member

You can use Lesco melt 2 it is mag chloride and potassium chloride and is what I use on the stamped concrete that I take care of.