1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help - Western UltraMount 8' 6"

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by PrimoSR, Nov 13, 2010.

1. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

I had the plow out today here in MN; when I ran into Menard's to get some salt I saw that my plow lights were on?! When I turn off the truck the lights stay on, when I turn off the plow the lights stay on, the only way to 'turn them off' is the disconnect it. Any idea's why they are doing that?

2. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Update - I went outside this morning to winterize the scooter, wash of the plow, aim the headlights...I moved my truck/plow out of the driveway and it acted normal, moved it back into the driveway and it worked fine, then I tried to put it away and it didn't do anything. I disconnected/reconnected it, turned it on and off, checked the hydraulic fluid, etc. and nothing. Any idea's? I will be studying the Western troubleshooting/mechanics guide tomorrow but thought I would try here too.

3. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

What do you mean? The plow would not function, or only the lights? Did you have power to the handheld? Did a dealer install the plow?

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Do have an isolation module or do you have relays under your hood?

5. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Plow would not function, yes it did have power to the joystick. When I tried to raise the plow I would just hear a click. I don't know who installed the plow, I bought the truck with the plow on it this last Spring.

6. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Now I feel like an idiot, I don't even know. It is a 8' 6" Western UltraMount if that helps. How would I check for that/what should I look for to find out?

7. Philbilly2

This is most likely a ground issue or a bad solinoid issue. Go under the hood and take a screw driver and touch it breefly across the two terminals on the solinoid. If the plow motor jumps or runs for a second, you need to replace that solinoid.

You should have somthing like one of these things somwhere under you hood. Arc the screwdriver across the two large posts.

001.jpg

8. Philbilly2

Do you have 2 plugs or 3 plugs coming out of your grill going to your plow?

9. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

10. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

then you have relays

11. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

They are very corroded and I will take pics tomorrow, but I did what you said and nothing happened.

12. Philbilly2

Well, then you have a bigger problem. You will need to check the loop to the motor. I am going to guess that you need to check your grounds. You have either a bad ground or your motor is shot. You can test the motor by taking a set of jumper cables and hooking them to your battery, and touching the cables to positive and ground bolts on the plow. The motor should run. If the motor runs, you need to trace the 12v loop.

13. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Alright couldn't post because the laptop crashed but you were right, it was the headlight relay and a bad solenoid. It also did have a loose ground.