1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Western Plow wont move

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by OrngKr8, Jan 6, 2014.

1. OrngKr8

OrngKr8 Junior Member

Hi guys, newbie here. Bought a truck (86 chevy) with a unimount plow on it this fall. Been working fine until today. The blade wont go up, left or right. Yesterday I noticed the pump would run for a few seconds after angling then stop running. It would dim the lights and slow the heater motor. Today, started out just fine then the plow died. All I hear is a click from under the hood when moving the joystick. Solenoid? Motor? Pump locked up? I have never worked on a plow before so I'm stumped. Thanks in advance, great info on this site.

2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like the motor if the solenoid clicks

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Or the solenoid is bad

4. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

Solenoid. This happened to me on my ultramount about a month ago. Don't go buy a solenoid from a auto store go to a western dealer and get the solenoid. I bought a solenoid from advance auto hoping it would work for me until I could get to my western dealer the next day and it didn't work.

5. OrngKr8

OrngKr8 Junior Member

What is the easiest to check and how? Hot wire directly to hot post on motor?

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yea. Or if you have a test light

7. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

Jumper cables from batter to motor. Then check to see if plow works, make sure you don't keep jumpers hooked up for top long. Just long enough to see if plow moves, if it moves it's the solenoid

8. OrngKr8

OrngKr8 Junior Member

Thanks to you all for your input. Will try to figure out whats going on in the morning. -15 here right now, cold and tired.

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like the motor is cooked. Drawing down your heater and lights just before it quit..... indicates excessive current draw. However this could well have burnt up your motor relay (solenoid) The jumper / booster cable is a good call and an easy test. You would be wise to invest in a cheap little 12 volt test light.
    If the motor turns when you use the jumper directly from battery positive to motor then probably the relay is bad but consider that the motor still may be on it's way out and drawing too much current. It would be nice to borrow a clamp-on amp meter and see what it is actually drawing. Initially they will draw over 100 amps to get started and then should drop to around 60 or 80 amps while lifting and then spike a bit when you hit the end of lift stroke. If it is much higher than that consider a new motor and save yourself the trouble of changing your relay again soon.

10. OrngKr8

OrngKr8 Junior Member

Thanks for all the recomendations, I got her going. Changed the solenoid, still nothing, replaced the motor, works like a charm. Guess I didn't realize the motor was going bad before hand, it moves faster now than it did before. Thanks again!