1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help-Western Plow Controller

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dstosh, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

A couple wires on my western plow controller were broken(the wires from the controller to the male plug) so my buddy offered to fix it. We poped all of the wires out, and soddered the wires back together and it all looked like it was going to work. The inline fuse ended up blowing and i got another today, and when I installed it the light on the controller lit up but the plow didnt angle or raise. Also , the on/off switch wouldnt work. The light stayed on no matter what position the switch was in. I think the fuse blew, because the light didnt come on after I un hooked the controller from the plug in the truck and then hooked it back up. Does anyone Have any Ideas as to what my problem might be. As far as putting the wires back into the controller on the top, the side with the grooves on the inside. (As you are looking at the plug from the rear) Red......Blue......Black and Underneath that is Brown....Green....White
    Is that how your controller is? Please help.

2. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

It sounds like there is a short. Maybe the wires got pinched putting the box back together. I would pull it back apart and see if the insulation is cut or if the solder burnt some of the insulation allowing the wires to touch. I have never had it apart but on other hydraulic controls when I have taken them apart to replace a switch I have pinched a wire and it caused the whole system to fail.
  3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I got a couple of spare joysticks at home.
    I will look at them later and let you know.

Let us know if it's the joystick or the hand held, and I am sure someone can help.
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I think you might have your brown and white backwards. If you look into the end of the plug with the alignment notches to the right side it should be the following order.

red/brown on top, blue/green in middle, black/white on bottom. You can also go to westernplows.com under publications/ techinical/mechanics guide for a schematic with a pic of a plug
  5. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Its a Joystick.. Btw, That is what mine is looking like..red/brown on top, blue/green in middle, black/white on bottom.Thanks
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  6. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Heres a pic of mine.
    Good luck.

7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Thanks..I'll Give it a try I had it flipped upside down I think
  8. skidsteerloader

skidsteerloader Junior Member

Check for juice at the red wire that plugs in at your trucks fuse panel. This wire comes off of the harness that leads to your controller. You may have blown that fuse. ( should only be juiced when the key is on ) IE: ignition fuse. Also controller should only light up with key on AND plow plugged in. I've forgotten to turn key on or plug plow in when diagnosing these things.
  9. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I got it fixed. Good thing it is 50 degrees here today. I just ended up cutting out the old inline fuse holder and putting in a new one. It is chip type...I cant think of what they are called right now, not the round ones. I would suggest either doing that or keeping a few fuses on hand or when you go to your western dealer stock up on a few, because i checked at least 5 different places with no avail. Thanks for your help