1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help -Western Cable Hydraulic Unit - Stuck NUTS!!!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by RobG, Jan 23, 2009.

1. RobG

RobG Junior Member

Guys, I am replacing the O-rings and gaskets on my pump. This pump was just purchased used and has sat for the past 8 years. The drain plug and lift valve screw are frozen in place.:realmad: The previous owner has rounded the edges of the hex screws. Can anyone tell me what size allen head these items take? Also, can I heat these up to help brake them loose without causing any serious damage to other parts of the pump unit?

I bought a new lift valve assembly to replace the corroded unit that I need to take out. Thanks you your kelp!!

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

spray all problem areas with penetrating oil/wd40.let sit a couple of hours. allen heads should be 1/4". you say lift valve, located were?on the back?

3. RobG

RobG Junior Member

The adjustment for the lift valve is on the front, upper right corner of the fluid tank, just to the left of the 4 way valve block.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

a little heat wont hurt. are sure lift valve is bad?

5. iowaplowboy

iowaplowboy Member
    from Iowa

I know thisis an old post, but I hope NOBODY is heating an aluminum casting. The "screws" discussed here are about $3, better to drill them out and remove the remaining with an "easy out" extractor, then replace the screw with a new one. Since you're replacing the o'rings anyway, just be sure to flush any particles before replacing the plugs.

6. iowaplowboy

iowaplowboy Member
    from Iowa

Oh, yeah, these are large set screws, so you should be able to drill deep enough to get a bite with an extractor WITHOUT drilling through (assuming you're talking about the "lift valve screw" on the back of the pump, which is actually an allen head set screw for the CHECK VALVE)...

Second choice, I would put the allen wrench in the hole, SPOT weld the wrench to the screw and then turn it out (you'll still have the outside diameter to measure).

7. goin broke09

goin broke09 Junior Member
    from NW PA

hmm, that sure sounds like a good idea! I'll keep that in mind for one of these days.