1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP - Western 1000 tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Meehan47, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Meehan47

Meehan47 Junior Member

I have a 1000 tailgate spreader. I just changed the motor, replaced the belt end of last year, new control box.

My problem is that the red light keeps blinking when I go to start it. I may know the problem, but want some opinions.

End of last year, I decided to weld 2 skinny (about 3/8 diameter) stainless bolts on the shaft to help agitate the salt. Can those 2 bolts cause the motor to bogg down?

Also, the salt I am using is bagged salt but has large pieces in it. Some pieces are maybe half the size of a dime.

Can the combo of the bolts and large spreader cause the red light to blink?

I checked the wiring and connections, its getting the correct amount of power.

2. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

check the bearing on the bottom of the spreader.... they will "freeze up" from sitting
  3. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Will the light blink when you run it empty? Whats the condition of the wiring? If the unit has been on the truck for a few years maybe your getting resistance in the harness.
  4. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

I would also check the bearing. Thats the only thing I've had to replace on my unit.
  5. beezil

beezil Junior Member
    from chicago

6. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

If this is happening when it's full, I would say the bolts because it doesn't take anything to jam these 1000's up. Also it will not spread inconsistant salt bigger than #2 Bagged Rock salt. My 1000 will NOT run anything except for bagged and IF you bought the safety salt from Home Deopt that stuff jams the spreader ALL the time.