1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP w/ Painting the Blizzard 810?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by intlco, Dec 8, 2004.

1. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Have any of you guys considered painting the Blizzard 810 a different color?

I drove with at night and their is way too much headlight glare. This white is too BRIGHT!

At first, I was considering painting the back black, but now, I am thinking that maybe I should paint the entire blade a different color. I heard in other post's that this white paint will not hold up once you plow anyways. And since we got all this good weather, it'd be something to do.

What color would be good?
    Blizzard should consider painting theses blades a different color.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

last winter at dusk i almost backed out in front of a white truck with a blizzard on. he had no lights on, plus the white on white made it real difficult to see him. not sure why they did go with white. red and yellow have been taken for a while.

3. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Never really thought about that. It would also then be hard to see that white blade in snowstorm or fog.
    That's why I don't want to paint the entire thing black, cause nobody will see it.
    Maybe a dk red would be better.

4. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

maybe paint it something that goes along with your truck, what color is the truck?

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i dont notice any glare from plow. but i do notice you/I cant drive with 810 all the way up at night becuase plow comes up to high and covers part of the lights about 1/4. still no glare. just dont get light coverage as you will with plow down a little.

6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

At night it really wouldn't matter too much what colour the truck/car or plow were. This was a matter of a vehicle with no lights on.

7. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Truck is Silver, so it's perhaps not the best choice for paint or reduced brightness.

After the dealer got my 810 fixed, it also comes up higher and covers about 1/4 of the rt. light.
    The bright white may not be bad if your not driving long distance, but I had to drive 200 miles with it up and it dam near killed my eyes at night is was so bright.
    Any color would be better than white.

8. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

lower it a bit. thats what i am doing. i may not have traveled 200 miles with it up (30 miles). but i cant see you traveling that far when plowing. if so you really need to tighten up your route.

9. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

When I bought my last truck I had it narrowed down to a white one and a red one, I kinda wanted the white one but my daughter reminded me the the red one would be more visable in snow so I wound up buying the red one. The white blade in a snow storm or at night has got to be a pain for glare or visabilty. I heard one guy here some time ago thinking about coating the back of his blade with that black spray on bedliner stuff for a dark durable finish.

10. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

if its just the glare bouncing from the lights you can paint a strip of black across the top of it to kill it a bit, mask it off and brush or spray it with a flat black or semi gloss.

11. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

i have 5 trucks with yellow plows painted all of them flat black in the rear my drivers all remarked how much better they could see, you could try dot reflective tape on some point in the front

12. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i put reflective tape on the markers.

13. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

No surprize to me as I have done that for some time too and once you try it, you do not want to go back to plowing without it. If I bought a new plow tommorrow it would be painted black on top backside before it was pressed into service.

14. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Taped off half of the back part of the blade and painted it black.
    It looks a lot better. Thinking of painting the bottom half red maybe.
    Easier to see in snow.

15. ChloMag

ChloMag Member

no paint glare fix

I have a Blizzard 810. The glare from the white bothered me but I did not want to paint the back of the plow. I got some flat black 11" X 18" magnetic sign stock for $18.00 and put it on both sides of the back of the plow. Works great! When you pressure wash, clean the magnets, warm them up a bit and put them back on. A little hassle but the reduced eye strain is worth it.
    '04 Chevy 2500 HD
    Blizzard 810
    Buyer's TGS05B

16. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

good idea, with those magnets. They reflect squat for light.

I drilled into my new 810 today, to mount that airfoil thing that helps reroute air to the radiator. Damn, the ribs are a lot thicker than our older westerns. I broke my 45 dollar drill bit I've had for ten years. :cry:Sniff. Maybe I should have let the drill go a little.

I drove the 810 about 30 miles the other night, :eek: and that white is pretty hard on the eyes. I had even more trouble because the lights weren't functioning properly. I bought this 94 two years ago (ebay), with a bent up front, and I switched it from a two headlihgt sealed beam front end to a four headlight composite front. It didn't cost much more, since most of the parts I needed were damaged anyway. I just cut and spliced in the 9005/9006 connectors, and the blizzard light harness doesn't like it. It feeds voltage back through the ground, and keeps the lows and highs on at the same time, you can smell the headlight switch in the dash getting funky. Luckily the 810 has a separate switch for toggling between truck headiights and plow headlights, or I wouldn't have made it home at all with all four of the trucks' headlights bouncing off the blade. It is taller than our westerns, so you can't drop it out of your sight.

I bought the truck from the wyoming BLM, and between the time I bought it and picked it up (about 3 weeks) someone backed into the drivers front corner and mangled it up good. They made good, but I wasn't too happy my new truck was crumpled:mad: . Just got it painted this summer. It's been blue for too long. Now all my summer trucks are white, but still two K-5's need painted. I think I am going to powder coat at least two of the westerns green to match my company colors. should get logos on all before spring. I was waiting to try and buy a domina name before I made signs, but had to settle for a .net.

Whoa, must be getting late, I'm ramblin pretty good.:sleeping:

You can see the white airfoil thing to the far right, on the tire stack. I figured I could look at it then make some more for the westerns. You can also go to blizzardplows.com and look at it there too. It doesn't look like much for 90 bucks.

TLC Dually front 1204.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  17. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

I forgot to say what I replied to do in the first place. I think the gripe with the blizzards is the decals coming off, it is powdercoated like everything else now, so I don't think it can be too fragile.

I think if mine wears at all, I'll put our green logo on over the white anyway. That will piss off my dealer, but hey, he is 300 miles away. :nono:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004