1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help w/ New Blizzard 810!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by intlco, Dec 2, 2004.

1. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Over the holiday, I drove outta town and picked up my Blizzard 810. What a hell of ride, got caught in a big Blizzard the entire way. Continental Divide was so snow packed and icy.

Anyways, got it home, and started putting it together.

Man did Blizzard go shot gun crazy on steel. This A-Frame has so much steel that it's built heavier than a front loader assembly.

Anyways, got the entire deal done, but can't get the lights too work.
    Everything else works fine.

So I drove 2.5 hrs to Billings to the nearest dealer and had them check out the lights and harness. After working on it for 8 hours, the can't find the problem.

When you plug in the light harness, the turn signals will light up, but when you flip the switch to turn on the plow lights, they won't come on. The truck lights stay on. They tried a different switch, and it was the same.

Anyone install one of these on a new Chevy? Let me know if you had this problem and how to fix it.

Also, when the shop raised the blade, it does not come off the ground very high. It will be no good for stacking snow.

2. easygreenlawn

easygreenlawn Junior Member
    from N. Ohio

I own the 8' straight blade and that lifts very high. I havent had a plow clear the ground as much as that one. It is different because of the extendable wings? Does it effect it that much?

3. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

mine also comes very high off ground dont know why yours doesn't.

4. intlco

intlco Senior Member

They've got mine up at the shop and when he put it on the truck and raised it, it was only 6 inches off the ground. And the pump unit was almost touching the bumper/mount.
    I did notice that the front end on my 1 ton did drop alot when he raised it.

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

mine is about 18" of the ground. no real drop at all. when it didn't have timbrens it dropped about an inch. look at avitar

6. Wilburn Parks

Wilburn Parks PlowSite.com Veteran

Make sure you have the right plow light adapter for your truck. Sometimes it might fit your lights but it's not the right one for your system.

7. intlco

intlco Senior Member

The dealer called Blizzard and confirmed the light adaptors were correct.
    Maybe Chevy changed their lights again in 2004.

Seems all these new adaptors that are suppose to be making our life easy are just a PITA.
    I'd rather have the old hard wire systems for this exact reason. A least back them, we could fix or wire anything.

8. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Just a pic of my 760LT. When raised The hydraulics cover almost touches the bumber as well.

misc 108a.jpg

misc 109a.jpg

9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

It sounds like the Relay for the light is not working or its wired wrong. I have a 810 on an older Chev straight axle PU and the blade lifts 15 inches. Thats about 4 or 6 inches less than the Boss 8 ft straight blade that used to be on this truck.

10. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

Sounds like either the headlight relay is no good or bad ground on the harness
    or the light tower is not grounded.

11. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

got a pic from the from of that setup??? :drinkup:

12. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

I attached two pics of the plow up. What else are you looking for, maybe I have some pics of it. :nod:

13. Wilburn Parks

Wilburn Parks PlowSite.com Veteran

What is the part number of light adapter you used?

14. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I had a Blizzard last year and the headlight set-up used a relay to switch between the truck and plow lights. The relay is powered by a switched 12VDC power supply, however the relay is turned on (plow lights on) and off (truck lights on) via a switch, which is used to connect or disconnect the relay to ground. If the relay is broken or wired wrong, the set-up will not function properly.

15. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

Found them in the pics section.. Sweet combo!!

16. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

[

When you plug in the light harness, the turn signals will light up, but when you flip the switch to turn on the plow lights, they won't come on. The truck lights stay on. They tried a different switch, and it was the same.

Anyone install one of these on a new Chevy? Let me know if you had this problem and how to fix it.

Also, when the shop raised the blade, it does not come off the ground very high. It will be no good for stacking snow.[/QUOTE]

Your light adapter should be a 6013. There is a green wire (yellow stripe) coming out of the main truck harness with 3 female pigtails on it. Each pigtail must be connected to one of the black relays.
    Just look at the relay and you will see there is only one space left for them. Also make sure you have bare metal contact where the light tower connects to frame.