1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help using 5000 gallons of homemade brine.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossman 92, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Long story short I made roughly 5000 gallons of sodium chloride mixed at Kabota's numbers for salinity. This mixture has set in our tanks for a few years now without any problems. Last winter I checked a few times and it never froze up as far as I know. What should the hydrometer read as far as being safe to apply to our lots?

Also can I mix this solution with natural mineral well brine and spray the two? I was told there is no way to mix the two and get any decent results at all.

Not sure what to do now??? Thanks in advance

2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

depending on the temp - at 60 degrees your salimeter should read 23.3%...
    there is a chart to follow if the temp is anything other than that...

if you made it right the first time nothing should have changed?

don't see any issues mixing in well brine...dont expect any big major performance improvements though as your watering down the well brine...

3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

23.3%. Perfect!! I thought that was the % but couldn't remember.

As for watering down the well brine with my brine...... We sprayed 100 gallons per acre with the "homemade" mixture, as long as I can spray a similar mixture with similar results I will be happy. Just need to move this "mixture"

4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict