1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP unhooking a new vxt v plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by harleyguy, Nov 8, 2010.

1. harleyguy

harleyguy Junior Member

Hey just got a new 8.2 VXT PLOW and went to un latch it from the truck lowered the unit and the pins popped out but went to back the truck out and its draging the plow with it not sure whats going on any help on this problem thanks
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just put a jack underit and help it up a bit.
  3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

It's catching the hooks so give it a little help with a jack like Dave said.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The ground where you're dropping it too uneven or the truck mount is too high (likely on a new install). Need to address either one or you'll need the jack every single time, which of course is a hassle that shouldn't be needed.
  5. Welderguy24

Welderguy24 Member

Park your truck on level ground with the plow off of the truck and measure from the ground to the center of the hole on the mount. Your number should be 15 1/2" and adjust your mount to get it as close as you can
  6. harleyguy

harleyguy Junior Member

Thanks for the input i saw on the spec sheet about the height from the ground to the frame 15 1/2 so ill check that it might be going back to the dealer to deal with thats why i paid for a new plow but thanks again
  7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Make absolutely sure it is on level ground. I've found the plow is very finicky and even the slightest pitch will put it off. I had the same problem you did. I had to dick around with the SmartHitch for a bit until I could get at least one pin fully latched. I then carefully picked it up, set it on level ground, undid the stuck pin, and re did it again. The mounting system is a really good system, it's just alignment is a pain along with making sure the plow is absolutely level.

BTW, you can move the plow around fairly easily just by jacking it up on the red center trip device behind the center hinge pin.
  8. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Make sure you un/hook with the same load in the bed every time. ie ballast It can be a drastic amount of height difference causing a headache, especially when it's snowing to beat the bands out.

OMGWTFBBQ Member

When I got mine used, the trip springs were very loose. I am pretty sure that the previous owner really loosened them up so it would trip easier. I believe that he also just left it on all winter, so it was not an issue to him. Until I figured out that I had to tighten the nuts up, which brings the mount up in the air I also had issues. Now that I have done that, I have no problem getting hooked up, even on unlevel ground. I would not assume this is the issue with yours being new, but thought I would throw it out there just in case.