1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help!! truck wont start

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by james.j.smith, Jan 27, 2011.

1. james.j.smith

james.j.smith Senior Member
    from 19033

Since I bout the truck there has been some play in the ignition switch that has progressively got worse. Lately you had to find the sweat spot to turn the power off to the electrical (i.e. radio) and get the key out. Also you had to turn it pretty far around to get the truck to start and turn it back again so that the starter wouldn’t stay engaged. Last week when I went to start the truck nothing happened (no started engagement or cranking) a couple hours later I tried it again and the truck started. The same thing happened the next day so I changed the ignition lock and the truck started right up, I didn’t have find the sweat spot to get the key out with the radio off and I didn’t have to turn the key back to disengage the starter.

Last night while plowing when I was going in reverse the truck stalled (different problem) and when I turned the key nothing happened I eventually jumpered across the starter solenoid (has a battery lead a lead to the starter and a couple other wires connected on the positive side) and the truck started. I had to do several times during the course of the night, first thing this morning I was at pep boys and I replace the starter solenoid and the battery cable. After the replacement of the solenoid he truck still wouldn’t start. I had to jumper across the new solenoid to get the truck started to get home.

Has anyone had this problem or any advise as to what to look at?

Also anyone have any ideas on why I’m stalling, it only happens when I’m in 4X4 and going in reverse?
    Trying to figured this out relative quick since I hear there is another storm on its way and I lost at least 10 hours today and a coiple of my buddies are still out.

Thanks for your help

2. james.j.smith

from 19033

by the way the truck is a 1991 f250 5.8l

3. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

You don't say what Ford you have. However, there is a known problem with the old body style F250/F350 PSDs up to MY 99. There are two wires under the plastic cover on the steering column that can chafe and short out causing a no start such as you describe. I had the same problem, and my switch was sloppy too. However, I didn't track it down, simply bypassed the switch and put in a push button starter as my truck is a beater and don't really know how much longer it will last.

4. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Another possible area could be in the linkage from the key down to the actual ignition switch. (It's mounted on the column, in under the dash, and is operated by a push rod from the key.) There's a diecast part in there that has a tendency to break and cause weird things to happen.

5. james.j.smith

from 19033

where do I find the wires? do I have to take apart the steering column?

is there a way to check the linkage? do you know where I can find instructions to replace it?

6. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

The push button is handy to have as a backup just in case and is super easy to wire up. It's also a good "solution" if the truck is a beater. Fused power to the button, switched power wire out of the button to the signal terminal on the starter solenoid.

7. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

As we said in your previous thread about your lock cylinder- most likely it is your ignition switch or the actuator/linkage that is your problem.

Start by taking off the column trim pieces and observe the operation of the ignition rod while turning the key.

8. james.j.smith

from 19033

thanks, where is the ignitions switch located? do you know of any repair instructions to fix it been thru my haynes manual and there isn't much

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

HINT;; u put your key in

10. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

No, it's actually on top of the lower part of the steering column.

[​IMG]

Looks like this-

[​IMG]

11. james.j.smith

from 19033

thanks thats exactly what I've been trying to find. it looks like I have to drop the steering wheel to access the switch. is that what the easiest way to acces the switch is?

today I was able to jumper from the control side of the start solenoid to the battery and it started right up. also the rod is moving (can see it at the strreing wheel opeing before the dash). it appears to have a slight bend in it. I'm not sure if its suppose to be there. If its moving can I assume that the rod is working right?

I might do the button until it gets a little warmer since I don't have a garage to work in. I never lowered a steering wheel before is it time consuming to do?

12. james.j.smith

from 19033

If the ignition Lock Actuator in the steering wheel where to break would the rod connecting the actuator and the ignition switch still move?

13. james.j.smith

from 19033

I have the switch out but the old one doesn't have the bar across it as pictured above. I also don't see how the plug will fit with the bar installed any help would be greatly appriciated

14. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

The bar is a shipping thing I believe- not needed.

15. james.j.smith

from 19033

Thanks for all the help, I replaced the switch and the truck started right up. I also changed the IAC and brought the idel up slightly and the reverse issue seems to have gone away. I truly know if it goes away if i make it thru the next storm But I did let it warm up and put it in revese and 4X4 and the truck didn't stall, I even was able to back drag my driveway adn the truck didn't skip a beat. Going to keep my fingures crossed and knock on wood.

thanks again