1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help !!! truck turns over hard

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dieselman19, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

Hi I have a 2000 F-350 and the past couple of months i have had a problem with the truck starting hard and not turning over fast enough. I had the batteries tested and the alternator tested. but i noticed the larger draw on is when the glow plugs are on when i "wait to start" you can see the lights dim and the radio cut in and out. How can you test to see if the glow plugs are drawing to much or do you have any other suggestions? Im puzzled and i hate to think how much trouble i will have in the middle of the winter

Thanks
    Bob

2. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

insulted

Dont be insulted but, have you wire brushed the terminals and connectors? Radio cutting out sounds like short in a cell or loss of ground.

Good Luck

3. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

try new glow plugs or a new glow plug relay

4. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

have your starter checked if the other advice doesn't pan out.

5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

my 03 cummins starts up slow too but i havent plugged her in yet have you plugged yours in

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Testlight to positive and touch each glowplug to see if it lights the light. unplug connectors to glow plugs ofcourse first. If u have one or more that wont light the light u have one or more open circut and it really messes up the glow plug on time all it take is one plug I would start there. let me know If that is not it i can tell u where else to look. But that is a good place to start.

7. brad96z28

and by turning over slow are u referring to it cranksover very slow or it taks a long time cranking for it to start. just for clarifacation puroposes.

8. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

the truck cranks real slow and then starts clicking and wont turn over at all, ok so here is what i have done so far, i had the batteries tested, the alternator test and all were good, i then replaced the glow plug relay and i just tonight check the resistace on the glow plugs, they all were .22 which tells me they are ok, but i can go out and check with a test light and see what happens.

Thanks
    Bob

9. brad96z28

10. starc

starc Senior Member

My first thing would be to change the starter. Seems pretty straight forward....

11. daninline

daninline Senior Member

did they test the battery one at a time?
    or were they both still in the truck?

My truck had a sticky brush on the alt.
    All fixed.
    DAn

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would get a rebuilt starter and be done with it.
    If the batteries are OK this has to be the problem.

13. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Slow crank on the 7.3 will not likely produce enough "umph" in the HP oil pump to fire the injectors. If your batteries or starter will not crank the engine at a rate that seems twice as fast as a gas rig, you have a problem.

Go to pinpoint test B in the Diagnosis and Testing section (starter load test).

If you do not have Ford's 1996-2003 Service Information DVD (Service Manuals on DVD), go to Ebay and get it. Well worth the $20 or so it will cost. Not as comprehensive as the hardcopy manuals, but they run a few hundred.

Whenever I buy a new vehicle, just before I sign the sales contract, I demand both the hardcopy and the DVD of the Service Manual. Salesmen flinch - but usually come through!

I still take the truck in for problems (this new stuff is extremely hard to work on), but at least I got a clue as to what the problem is, and the likely solution.

BTW - I had a starter go bad on my 7.3 @ 25K... looks like a good place to start. They may be cheap, but they ain't inexpensive. Thank God mine was under warranty, towing and all.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  14. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Hardcopy:
    2000 Ford Workshop Manual - Excursion, F-Super Duty 250, 350, 450, 550, Motorhome Chassis, Volume 1 & 2

$100 plus shipping

PM me.payup

Hardcopy:
    1980 Ford Light Truck Shop Manual, Body, Chassis, Electrical
    1980 Light Truck Engine Shop Manual (Bronco, Econoline E-100 through E-350, & F-100 through F-350)
    1980 Light, Medium, Heavy PreDelivery, Maintenance, Lubrication, Emissions
    3 Volumes

$25 plus shipping

PM me.payup

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  15. brad96z28

Lol , has to be the problem U could not have a connection problem or some really bad battery cables. Ever notice everyone is a mechainc now a days some simple testing always proves what the problem any ape can throw parts into something. Ive also seem starters poorly gronded to the block cause problems. but hey what do i know. :dizzy:

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Three clues: Slow starter operation, Batteries / charging good, Lights dim more then normal when starting.
    Sounds like a tried starter to me.

With most of us checking connections, cleaning, testing and coating with dielectric grease is a given. After that I tend to replace the part / parts. So I know it's good and not leave me sitting because it " TESTED OK " at the parts store. Disturbing the part or minor blows to it could temporally FIX the problem. I learned long ago to go through a check out before I throw parts at it. Because that's even more upsetting to still have the problem after all the new parts.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006