1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help - truck dies

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mick, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Can someone give me an idea what's wrong before I rack up a big tow bill getting to the garage?

'96 Chevy 3500 6.5TD. Dual tanks. Yesterday going over rough road in started spitting and sputtering. Went about half a mile and died. Waited a few seconds, restarted and got home. Kept trying it and if I'd let it set a few minutes, it would start and run for awhile, then die. Thought maybe fuel wasn't getting from the second tank (it was showing half full) so put five gallons in the front tank today and drove five miles to the station. As I went to pull into the station, I shifted from OD to 3rd which revved up the engine and it died. Filled the front tank. When I started it, it died when I revved it up. Waited a few minutes and it started so I started back home. It would run as long as I "babied" it, but would die if I pushed on the gas, like going up hill. Wait a minute and it's start again. Got home, backed into the garage and shut it off by pushing on the accelerator.

There were hills on the way to the station today and it run fine. First indication today was when I shifted to 3rd and it revved up.

Is there an easy fix or do I need to get it to the shop?

Thanks,
    Mick

2. GoSlo

GoSlo Junior Member

Check your Fuel filter. If it is getting plugged it will cause the problems when you step on the gas.

3. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, GoSlo. I hope that's all it is.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Mick my truck did the same thing and it was the injection pump.Going down the road and it would die then dtart right up then go another 5 miles then it would die.If it is it's still under warranty for that.I tried the fuel filter too thought it was the cheapest thing to try.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2003
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Try a fuel filter first,and check for any possible air leaks.Could it be possible you got a bad load of fuel ? or it's gelling ?

I hate to say it,but it does sound a lot like the injection pump,very common on those trucks.Check with GM,I know they extended the warranty on some of them.,

6. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

It sounds like the FSD. Take it to the dealer it is covered for 10 years or 120,000 miles.

7. nben

nben Senior Member

Had pumps go on both our 95 and 97. One truck did exactly what yours is doing and the other one just died and wouldn't do anything. Both were replaced under warranty. Good Luck:D

8. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I had the same thing on my '93. It also would not start when it was hot. Ended up being the injector pump. And of course with my luck, I was 10,000km over the warrany for the pump. I'd try put a new filter on it first and bleed any air that may have gotten in the system like the others said.

9. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

My friend has a 94 K2500 w/ the 6.5 diesel. The truck would stall out and would take a minute to start back up again.

After running it on our computer at the gas station and checking for codes, it turned out to be the driver unit. It was a $300 part i think, but cheaper then a new injection pump.

Take the truck to a garage and have them check on their scan tool for codes. It might be able to tell you the source of your problem.

Bryan

10. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, everybody. I'm going to try draining the fuel filter first. I can do that from my garage. Any more than that, it'll have to go into the dealer where I bought it - 25 miles away. That's a nice thing about this site - I learn what's covered under these extended warranties.

Joey D, what is FSD ?

11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

After you drain the filter,see if it will refill by putting the truck in gear,and trying to crank the engine,this should run the lift pump.If the lfit pump is bad it wont fill the housing,this may also be your trouble.My dad's 6.5 had a bad lift pump,we changed the filter as PM and couldnt get prime after that.thats how we knew.On his truck is was inline under the cab very small,almost looked like a fuel filter with wires coming out of it.

12. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Mick, Fuel Solenoid Driver

To check the lift pump with out tools just open the water seperator valve with the truck running, if it dies the pump is bad. It should pump fuel out and stay running as this is how you drain water, something that should be done often.

13. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Check the filter first. Dual tanks usually ='s 2 pumps 1 filter.
    I doubt both pumps died.
    Usually that will happen with a clogged filter as it lets the gas by but slowly, not enough to rev the engine & it will stall. Gas backed up at the filter. Slowly the gas makes it past the filter so next time it will run until that bit in the line is used up.

This also happened to my mom's car one but it was (hopefully)much worse...
    She filled up at an old station that had just filled their tanks & stirred up the junk in the bottom & got pumped into her tank. Drove for a while like that trying to make it home till it just cut out & caused a bunch to get by the filter & gunk up the engine, had to tear it down & rebuild. Luckily the station payed for it along with 3 other cars.

I'll put my last (& only) dime on it's the filter... let us know how it turns out.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2003
  14. nben

nben Senior Member

Got Grass,

He's got a diesel, not a gas job. It's a different animal. We are talking about the lift pump, not the in-tank fuel pumps. The lift pumps on these 6.5's are a very common problem. As I said before, we lost one on each of our 6.5's. One was at 50,000 miles and the other was at 32,000 miles.

I have had my share of problems with filters and clogged strainers/burned pumps on our gas trucks, so I know where you are coming from there!:D

15. Mick

from Maine

Thanks for the ideas. I think it's the filter, too (I hope). Sure sounds like it. Anyway, Wednesday I'm having it towed into the garage where my son works. They'll go all through it and they can do any warranty work, too. Then I'll know it's done. As everyone knows, I'm about mechanical enough to do it half way. Then need to take it in, anyway.

In past years, I knew enough to fool myself into calling myself a mechanic. Actually, I was a diesel mechanic in the Army in the late 60s/70s. Unfortunately, it doesn't do much good anymore.

16. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

argh... I missed the 6.5TD part... lol...
    :rolleyes:

17. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

"I'm about mechanical enough to do it half way. Then need to take it in, anyway."

LoL, that only happens when ya remove a wheel & tear the truck down. Then the broken part that you cant fix yourself falls off making the truck completely un-drivable. Of cource its on the end furthest in the garage...
    lol

18. Mick

from Maine

And the Jury is in

With the terminology used, I'm not sure who deserves to take a bow, but by the repair order:

1. Replaced the Pump Mounted Driver (same as FSD?)
    2. Replaced the Lift Pump
    3. Replaced the Glow Plug

PMD was under warranty :D .

What happened - Had it towed in. I'd called and described the stalling. First they determined that the glow plug was bad and declared it fixed. I just didn't think the glow plug could be responsible for all that, so they test drove it again. Lift pump was noisy, so replaced that. Test drive - it still died so replaced the PMD. Problems solved.

Thanks to the guys at O'Connors and especially Brian for putting up with me.

Now to those whose diagnosis was on the button - :drinkup: .

19. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

Around here we've been having a tough time with contaminated fuels, from various retail stations. The local Chevy dealer's service dept. can't keep up. They're wondering if it's vandalism on the tanker trucks or something like that.

My brother got hit with a $1200 bill for his '02 Chevy 1500 w/ 4.8 V8. Not covered by warranty, insurance or Exxon-Mobil. How many people could afford to pay out that kind of $$? There was so much crud and water in the gas that the gas filter was completely overwhelmed.