1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help!! truck dies after 20 secs

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mercmn91, Dec 17, 2008.

1. mercmn91

mercmn91 Junior Member

please help, My 91 3/4 ton Chev dies after 20-30 seconds of running. It doesn't matter if I have pedal down, or just let it idle. It just dies, no spuddering, or anything else. Fuel pump is good, 11 lbs of pressure. New fuel filter. The shop seems to think it is electrical somewhere but they cannot find it and at $60-70/hour I don't want them to take too much time looking. They hooked it up to and could not get a reading. Any ideas??????
  2. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I don't know if it makes much sense but does it have good oil pressure? I know some smaller engines shut down if it senses to low pressure it shuts off... Sorry I'm not much help but I'm just throwing it out there..
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If the electronics does not detect that the engine is running it shuts of power tho the fuel pump. maybe that is the problem the system is shutting of the fuel pump
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Could be the Pump Mounted Driver aka Fuel solenoid driver on top of the engine. Around $350.00 and you can replace it, if your model has one. You don't say if yours is diesel or gas. PMD problems don't show up on computer test. My 6.5 Diesel has one.

There are multiple problems that will appear to be a PMD issue. Problems with battery cables, grounds, ignition switch (or relay better termed, not the key switch) optical sensor filter harness problems and fuel supply issues. It is best to verify as best as you can which component is failing before just throwing parts at it.
  5. mercmn91

mercmn91 Junior Member

This is a gas 350 engine. The oil pressure has been good. This truck is not an everyday driver, the last time I used it was in June or so. I just replaced the battery, went to start it and this is what happened, run for a few seconds and then dies. I did notice that the lug for the battery cable and plow power seemed a little short for this battery but it stays snug in the terminal. The mechanic is the one that seems to think it is electrical, I myself thought it seemed like a gas or air problem. Thanks for the responses. We are expecting 6" by tom and some more this weekend. 750' of driveway and all I have is a shovel.
  6. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

First thing you want to find out is if you are losing spark or fuel..... being it is one of the "older" GM's it is most likely just losing one. Does it fire right back up when it dies? Or does it crank for a few seconds then fire? I would pull 1 spark plug wire and put in a spare plug and watch the spark.... see if it loses it. Also, check the coil for good spark too. I have seen weak coils do some funny things, but look like they were working. A good coils should jump the spark from it a good 1 1/2" to 2" to a screwdriver.