1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP !! Tranny Broke

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dieselman19, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

HELP !! Tranny Broke

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well i think i will be in the market for a new tranny, i was plowing and i lost 3rd gear, the truck shifts great from 1 -2 but wont shift into 3rd, and the overdrive light is flashing, i looked for the simple stuff,(loose or broken wires, blown fusses) but nothing i guess im going to have to bring to a tranny guy. Any of you guys have any suggestions before i send it off. I was hopong it was going to be something easy a quick fix. What can i expect cost wise ? Can anyone recomend a good place in the Rochester, NY area?

Thanks
    Bob

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well mine went last week after 37,000 miles Ford picked up half still cost me 2400.00

3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Where did you buy a $5,000.00 trans? seems like alot to me:confused:

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My truck is 02 f250 with 37,000 dealer had to replace with a reman. now it have a new 3yr 36,000 warranty, something broke inside and destroyed the gears.It cost less to put the new one in than rebuild the old one.

5. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

There are only three really good rebuilders in the country for you trans, BTS in AR, Suncoast in FL, and John Wood automotive in S.CA. I know the first two will ship to the shop of your choice or your door. I am not sure of JWA. Even with shipping the trans will be less than the $5000 stated above and there will be many custom made parts to correct the Ford design problems. Which is some thing Ford can’t offer. My BTS had a 3 year unlimited mileage unlimited horsepower warranty even under racing applications. I know the other two rebuilders have similar warranties. You can expect to pay about $4000 + - a hundred or so.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Be real careful with a local shop that can do it for under $2500. They are just replacing the soft wear parts and not doing a complete job. If you don't want to go the big money rebuild get the Ford rebuild from their re-builder. The ones we get at the Ambulance company from them hold up real well. You need to take it to a tranny shop and make sure it's not a repairable problem and not a rebuild problem.

7. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

MickiRig1 I am curious so I hope I don't sound sarcastic here. What type (I, II, III) of ambulance, what chassis and how many runs per year does the ambulance(s) see? When we were running Type III bodies on a light duty diesel E350 and E450 chassis we had a lot of trans and brake issues. The Ford remans were only lasting 1 year on average. Our ambulances were each running about 3000 calls per year at that time and they weighed about #12000. Now we are running medium duty chassis Freightliners and a few Navistars. They are more powerful, better transmissions, better brakes, last longer, and we have more units (went from 4 to 5 ambulances) but still running more than before. about 3600 runs per year for each truck.
    I am glad you are having good luck with the Ford reman trannies, unfortunately we did not.

8. MickiRig1

We run the straight van type ambulances. AMR is the biggest company in the country. They study the hell out of statistics, so you know they come to the cheapest long lasting concussions. With so many units that are FORD they must know something about longevity of parts. We have 3 dead transmissions sitting in shipping cases in the garage now, out of 45 units, so what do they know? I have worked for 5 different ambulance companies and 2 Fire Departments, Ford seems to have the lest amount of breakdowns for the miles responded.

9. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Ah,,, seems you and I have had some of the same experience. I worked for 5 years for Laidlaw. I agree they study stats but IMO they rarely looked at longevity just cost. It wasn't until we were able to maneuver our way out of the corporate contracts via loopholes did we start to see genuine quality not just in transmissions but fuel, tires, etc.

10. MickiRig1

This is true they do just look at cost most times. As many as they buy they probably get a great price on them. I am still amazed at the amount of OEM parts they buy. They have to spend a fortune each month.

11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

sorry to hear about the tranny, if you need any help with the accounts let me know, I still haven't had a chance to get my truck fixed yet from the accident, but she's running.

have you tried Airport Transmission on 104 by Kodak Park? They have been around a long time, a buddy of mine didn't want to use them because they wanted too much money, so he went to some place in Buffalo, well his tranny just went again after 6 mos, this will be the 3rd time they are fixing it:eek: