1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP !! Tranny Broke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dieselman19, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

Well i think i will be in the market for a new tranny, i was plowing and i lost 3rd gear, the truck shifts great from 1 -2 but wont shift into 3rd, and the overdrive light is flashing, i looked for the simple stuff,(loose or broken wires, blown fusses) but nothing i guess im going to have to bring to a tranny guy. Any of you guys have any suggestions before i send it off. I was hopong it was going to be something easy a quick fix. What can i expect cost wise ? Can anyone recomend a good place in the Rochester, NY area?

Thanks
    Bob

2. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Sorry to hear the bad news!-- there are many threads-- that you can search--- if the O/D light is flashing-- it hopefully left a code--or you over heated the tranny-- Only word of advice--beware of a shop that will rebuild it for cheap money! M:dizzy: Most of the time it's in the ball park of 2-3K.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have any diesel performance mods done to the truck?

4. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

yes i have a 4 position chip.

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Have you ever thought about a Suncoast Transmission? They are heavy duty, meant for performance mod'ed trucks. Just another idea for you; I wouldnt go cheap on a tranny either, you might end up spending more in the long run :rolleyes: Good Luck with whatever you do!:salute:

6. snowcan

snowcan Member

Maybe your tranny is toast but if the od lamp is flashing have the the code pulled up with a scanner and if it's a lucky day maybe you just have an electrical problem, what's the fluid look like?

7. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

been there

I had a 1996 that the overdrive light started flashing on & it ended up being the converter. Then at around 250,000 miles &I lost 2nd gear but the OD light never flashed on that one. I ended up getting the tranny rebuilt better than stock for $1600. Good luck with this

8. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I'll second that.

9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've read nothing but good things about Brians Truck shop trannies. Top notch, and dollar.
    http://www.brianstruckshop.com/index.html