1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help,Total Newbie to plowing!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alpha42, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Alpha42

Alpha42 Junior Member

Help I am a Total Newbie to plowing

Hello to all. I have been browsing this site while dreaming of getting a plow for my 2002 Chevy K2500Hd Ex-cab. Well thanks to claiming zero dependents all year got me a sweet tax refund which I immediately spent most of on a 7 1/2 Western unimount Proplow. I had the installer crank the T bars about 3 turns or less which helped quite a bit with clearance. Whoa!! way cool-3 beers and a cigar after work just looking and playing with the cab command. I made up 50 flyers and stuffed them in my neighbors mailboxes with the lure of "Any standard single or short double wide driveway $25.00 and up" I figured with the upcoming storm here I should get 5 or 6 takers. I have watched lots of guys at work plow and it looks like good common sense and not rushing it should get me started. I would be grateful for some advice from you guys for sure. I know the price is too low but I want to get paid while I learn-and show the wife a few greenbacks too. I've been married long enough to know how to play this game. Thanks for reading. John:drinkup:
  2. Howdy John!
    Either all the snow plowers are out plowing or getting rested up to do so. Let me congratulate you on your new plow. I'm sure you will do well with such a low starting price but make sure you list it as an 'introductory' price or something so the customer doesn't get peeved when you figure out you are undersellling yourself. As a helpful hint I reccomend you place this question to the Plowing Discussion group as opposed the Chevy Truck group
    'cause I think you will get more input about your plowing buisness ideas. (Even if they do come from Ford & Dodge drivers - Only Kidding!) Actually, all these guys are great and most willing to give feedback.
    Myself, I don't plow snow. I would probably go broke trying to do so as I live at Death Valley National Monument (220' below sea level) where we regularly set the national highs during the summer months. Contrary to common beliefs, we don't even have that much sand out here to push around. Mostly the ground out here is comprised of expansive clay and rock.
    I really like this forum (Chevy Truck) 'cause I only run Chevys this forum allows me to see what other owners are doing. However, I do sandbag on the Snowplow Discussion group because it is so interesting to see what is going in what, to me in the desert, seems like the other side of the world. Besides, it gets my mind off the incessant sunshine reading about plowing snow umpteen feet high!
    So try the Snow Discussion Group and Good Luck with your new endeavour, You seem to have a really nice combination of equipment there.

3. Alpha42

Alpha42 Junior Member

Hello to all. After sitting on the sidelines(and getting my income tax return) I finally bought a plow for my 2002 Chevy 2500HD. I got a shiny new Western Proplow with the ultramount and a Cab Command controller. Way cool to me for sure. Last night after work 3 beers and a cigar just looking and playing with it (Don't let your mind wander,I mean with the plow). The installer cranked the T-bars about 3 turn each. I've done this before on my 1500's without any problems at all.Anyway I printed up some flyers and stuffed lots of mailboxes in my area with the lure of"Any standard single or short double wide driveway 25.00" Unusually higher snow slightly higher. All the drives are real short and most are doubles with plenty of space to throw the snow on one side. I did not put flyers in mailboxes of drives that were still a horror from the last storm or ones that look like the owners just dont give a ****. I know this is way cheap but I really don't know what I am doing so I like the thought of getting paid to learn. I won't molest anyones lawn or leave them with headless lawn statues-although that would be a pisser. Besides if I could show the wife some cash from this thing(like right away cash) it would help to shed some cold stares for some warm-well you know. Any input from you guys would be great. Thanks,John:drinkup:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2003
  4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

You need to start somewhere. 25 is cheap for good service though. It takes more than a plow to make a plow guy as you will learn. Good luck.
  5. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Don't forget to get your commercial liability insurance before you start.
  6. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

do a search, it has been discussed.
  7. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Here's some good food for thought that I found on the Boss site when I first bought my plow.

Just click on the various categoriesd on the left, and that will save a lot of learning curve.
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I think you may find that the 7.5 is bit small for that truck. But for driveways it should work OK. Do a good job, be dependable and timely, do not low ball work just to get it, carry insurance and claim your income, and none of us here will have any problem with that. Have fun.
  9. tnt69tnt69

tnt69tnt69 Member

I see no one that has posted so far is near me in Syracuse,NY. But with that price you would not get any takers around here. $25 for a short single wide driveway. I try to get $15 for that and am competing with $8 and $10 guys.

Sounds great though I just got a new truck this year and put on a western ultramount pro poly....you're gonna love it I can tell you that.
  10. drobson

drobson Senior Member

$8 and $10???? If I could find someone at that price around here I would have them do my driveway!! And I'd sub them out to do all my customers too... I have some of the best prices around and I won't touch a drive for under $30. And most of mine are 30-40 for up to 6" and up from there.
  11. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

If you have any questions in your mind, do a search. There are alot of things that got discussed. If you can't find the answer to your questions, then post away!

Welcome to Plowsite! :waving:
  12. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I agree, don't do a driveway for less than $25 or $30. If we all stick to a reasonable price, customers will realize what our service is worth. Lowering the price just to compete tells customers what WE think our service is worth!
  13. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite.

Here's another thought for you: Do a little networking with some of the established plowing contractors in the area. See if any of them could use any help. Guys are always breaking something or losing people mid-season, and I know when it's snowing all I want is to get my customers taken care of, whatever it takes. I always appreciate knowing that I have someone I can fall back on in a pinch.

Just be up front with them about your experience and talk to your insurance guy first thing Monday and get that liability coverage up to snuff.

That is exactly how my brother and I got our start, mid-season, over ten years ago. And now here we are with a respectable business of our own.

Good luck to ya.:drinkup:
  14. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

First thing to do, after obtaining liability insurance, is to join SIMA. Don't be the "low-baller" but provide a dependable, quality service and you will have repeat customers year after year. Your wife will really smile about that, trust me!;) Get written contracts from your customers, too. Even if you are only starting out with one customer, be completely professional from the start.

We have added between 10 and 25 new customers each year picking up from a "plow jockey" who got halfway through the season, broke something on his truck, and decided that was enough for him. This gives our profession a bad name and leaves a bad taste in people's mouths, so just be sure you educate yourself ahead of time, know what you are getting into, and are prepared. Plowing can be a profitable endeavor, but it is NOT, contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, quick and "easy" money. It is, however, the most fun you can have in the snow! :D Best wishes for success!