1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help thinking about snowplowing this winter

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by exmark, Jun 14, 2009.

1. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Im thinking about starting to snowplow this winter im still in school going to the local community college and im wondering about snow plowing the first time ever. I have a hafe ton truck and im probly going to buy a 7.5ft snowplow for it. Im really hoping just to get like one or two parking lots just for starters. But when i get out im planning on plowing full time during the winter cause i run my lawn service during that season. So my question is how do you get a parking lot do you go to them i mean i really have no clue on where to start. Thanks

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Hit search.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Going to school and plowing usually don't work very well together.
    People want plowed when it snos....NOT at your convenience.

4. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Plowing and going to school could work depending upon how heavy your class schedule is. If your just starting out though, my suggestion would be to do some sub work and maybe upsell your service to your existing lawn clients. Either way, make sure you let the GC (if you sub) or lawn clients know your schedule, to cover your own butt.

BTW - too many young people don't want anything to do with any type of "physical" labor, or any work at all. Don't shoot the guy down if he wants to work while going to school. Under the right circumstances it can work out!

Best of luck.

5. Salt King

Salt King Junior Member

You will first need insurance - most business want some kind of liability insurance. Then you can go sell yourself to individual businesses. I like linycctitan's idea best, subcontract on to someone else first to get an idea of how the business works.

6. tinffx

tinffx Member

One thing that you have going your way is that school is usually closed when it snows - at least around here. I work from home when it snows, so it is pretty well understood that I won't be in the office. Really most of my plowing takes place at night so it really isn't too big a deal for me.

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Get to know some of the other contractors in the area so they can cover you/ you can cover them if the need arises (exams, hot date, etc).:drinkup:

8. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Alright thanks guys i curently have a lawncare buisness that ive been running for about 6 years now and i just got my scheadule back and im only going to school on tuesdays and thursdays at the moment so i think im gonna give it a shot and see how it goes. Im just not sure yet how to price?

9. Nolimit124

Nolimit124 Member

yeah dont worry about classes when it snows alot you most likly will get school off anyways. I got to school full time and i'm a Resident Assistant at school so I dont get that much free time. Not to mention i drive an hour and half home to plow. Its worth the money i subbed all last winter and I made 10 grand. However, I'm crazy and a 21 year old workaholic. If you like staying up at night its perfect except you dont get any sleep so you are going to have to get into the routine. After my first 36 hour storm i slept for a whole day. After that you get used to it. Jsut go for you dont worry about school I did it and even made deans list.