1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! thinking about changing seals on cable operated plunger myself

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by lawnranger2005, Feb 14, 2008.

1. lawnranger2005

lawnranger2005 Junior Member

does the plunger rod pull right out if i take off the big nut, change seals. can anyone help with this process? thank you . JIM its leaking pretty bad I have diagrams from western thanks again
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not a bad job if you have the manual to help you along.

Yes if you loosen the packing nut you can pull the lift ram out...sometimes they're a little stubborn and take a little persuasion.

Make sure to clean off any burrs, raised metal or rust on the ram before you attempt to remove the packing nut.

Soak all the new packing rings in whatever fluid your using in the pump for at least an hour or two.

Use plenty of anti-seize on the packing nut threads during reassembly.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I just had some major problems with mine working on my back-up truck.

I have a 1988 GMC as a back-up and I am sure the plow is a 88 or 87 conventional.

I went to the western site and d-loaded their service manual.

You could print whatever page you needed in the shop or just read it to find out what is what.

They give great pictures on everything and even list the torque specs for putting it back together.

Here is the link that lists the manuals. I used the mechanics guide.