1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! TH400 out 700R4 in

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by WeBeeKOOL, May 28, 2002.

1. WeBeeKOOL

WeBeeKOOL Junior Member
    from 96050

" The Money Pit" an '82 chev 6.2 diesel 4X4 1/2 ton with bad TH400 and transfer case .

I have a rebuilt TH700R4 and transfer out of a '89 4X4 350cid Surburan for a replacement.
    (1) Are there any major problems I should know about?

(2) Will I need to shorten/lengthen drive lines?

(3) Which tork conveter do I use? the 400 or the 700? Or ???

(4)There is a 4way electical plug on the 700R4 trans. I don't know if the '82 has one. if the '82 does not have one, what next?

(5) Will the shifter for the transfer C work?

(6) There is not a lot room on the trans hump for a shifter. Do you have a clue as to mounting a B&M Mega shifter? Or any suggestions at all.
  2. scalawag

scalawag Junior Member
    from 39740

hi man

go to chevy talk .com them guys answer faster and they are good to.
  3. 1500HD

1500HD Junior Member

1) The 700R4 isn't nearly as strong as the 400, but shouldn't be a problem unless you work the truck really hard.
    2)Yes, the 700 is longer than the 400, so you will need to shorten the rear driveline and lengthen the front, or possibly swap in shafts from a truck originally equipped with a 700.
    3)You'll have to use a converter from a 700 that came off of a diesel truck. Diesels have different stall rpm converters than gas equipped trucks.
    4)The plug is for the lock-up feature on the torque converter. You can not use it, without any problems.
    Also, if you don't already have one, install a transmission cooler-heat is the #1 enemy of auto transmissions. It would be a good idea to drop in to a local transmission shop and pick their brains. If they're nice, you ask nicely, and you catch them when they're not busy, they'll likely have a lot of good info for you.
    Good luck.