1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help teach about salting

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JMHConstruction, Mar 9, 2013.

1. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

I apologize in advance, I'm sure there are threads on this site about this topic already. I have no idea what to search for, and what I have searched, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

With only a few years under my belt running my sidewalk crew I can move some snow like crazy. I work as a sub for a larger landscaping company who provides the melt, so I'm sorry I do not remember what type of ice melt is used. In the past I thought more of ice melt as something to put down to melt the left over snow, any more snow falling, and obviously ice. I didn't realize the complexity of putting it down. In the past I have just opened my spreader and walked at a decent pace, then went on to the next job. As I learn the business I have realized that weather, temp, day/night, and other factors determine the ice melt amounts and what types of ice melt to use. I was wondering if anyone knows a website, video, thread, etc. of a teaching tool about how much salt to put down and when?
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Go liquid and never look at anything else again.

But, you'll still need to use occasional rock salt for the high moisture snow and freezing rain conditions.

Here is three Google search terms.

Road Salt or Rock Salt
    Liquid De-icers
    Calcium Chloride

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  3. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Have to disagree here for one reason only, ( besides the fact that you directly contradicted yourself in the the second sentence :) ) There is more to using rock salt than just traction and ice melting. The customer is able to "see" what he or she is paying for. Liquid is an excellent tool, but you have to be good at selling it, and you also have to have customers that are intelligent enough to realize it's benefits, even when they cant physically see it on the ground (other than the fact that there is no ice). Liquid also requires additional equipment designed to store and apply it, where salt you can dump in the bed of a truck and apply by hand using a scoop or a shovel.

For someone just starting out in the deicing application side, I would suggest a treated salt product such as magic salt, or something similar. You dont have to use as much as straight salt, allowing you to stay out longer between refills, at the same time being more effective, reducing labor and fuel costs, and you can charge a little more too....
  4. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Or just use Peladow
  5. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I'm kind of in the same about not knowing how much to apply. personally I've just used my best judgement and have figured it out on my own.

I have a small commercial lot I do and when I salt I use a walkbehind spreader and I used 50 lbs bags of an ice melt product.

when I actually plow the lot the only thing the client wants salted is the entrance. I know how many bags I use on the entrance and I just divided the rest of the lot into sections of that same size and now I have a rough idea of how many bags I need to salt the whole lot.

in my personal opinion if I can't see the salt starting to work by the time I am ready to leave the lot I probably didn't put enough down.
  6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You'll have to learn by trial and error.There're are so many variables involved.One thing you can do is take the time to return to sites and see the results and add that to your memory and experience.
  7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

8. badblue93

badblue93 Junior Member

I just started using Peladow on a commercial lot(/contract). I can get everything to to turn to slush but that is it. I can not get that totally clean lot like I can with rock salt. I have commercial lots that are 4x the size of this new one. I calculated the amount of Peladow to be used at the same rate as my rock salt application rate. I still can not get this lot cleared for the life of me.

Any hints?
  9. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

I work for a very large company and they could not sell liquid if there life depended on it. Had it on my truck for 3 years now and have never used it. I know they keep telling me that in the next 3 to 5 years they have to be using a third less of the salt we use now.
  10. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

how about you guys stop being whiny little girls and help this guy out. this is a forum to help people.. How about you help him or stop hijacking his thread... For gosh sakes how old are you people??? :dizzy:
  11. badblue93

badblue93 Junior Member

SIMA is a huge organization that can help with all your snow training. They are also on our side to help change laws in our favor. They have an online school that covers everything.
  12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Liquid is good to apply on top of the rock salt to get the salt to start working faster.
    White gardens is right on Liquid if you are applying it to fresh clean walks or a pre treatment.
    Now if walks been walk on all day and is pack down then you need rock salt. But I never use rock salt on walks its to hard on the walks surface will use liquid Salt/Cal mix.

To Op stay with Icemelt on walks its safer for the walks and wont plug up your push spreader salt can get clumpy if get wet with low temps.
  13. frue

frue Member
    from Pa

Hello, I see it has happened again. No one to answer your question. I talked extensively on this subject two weeks ago in a thread called calculating salt. If you look it up I think you will find everything your looking for. Pm if you need additional
  14. mdsnowremovalpw

mdsnowremovalpw Junior Member

I would suggest that you try different salts and find one that works the way you think it should. I went through a few different ones before I found one that worked the way i thought it should. If you want to get into liquid deicer offer a couple of customers a FREE application and if its not for them go back and put down salt.
  15. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Any body good with the science behind this? What I mean can you explain how the salt/ ice melt stops the ice from bonding to cement or asphalt?
  16. arathol

arathol Member
    from ct

The salt turms to salt brine, and the layer of salt brine is what stops the bonding process by acting as a barrier between the pavement and the snow/ice. The brine layer does have to be maintained by reapplication periodically though.
  17. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

^^^this is true^^^
  18. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Yes, there is a chemical process that takes place I want to be able to explain it that way. The brine does something to the water molecule that inhibits it's ability to bond. Why?
  19. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Salt lowers the freezing point of the water which allows the water to drain away... There's different percentages of salt that are for different applications... There's also a point where it gets too cold for salt to work effectively.
  20. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member