1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP- Star Hide A Way install..... need troubleshooting help...

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by mkwl, Jan 4, 2012.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hey guys-

I just finished installing a new Star/SVP 90W 6 head strobe hide a way kit in an '06 GMC Sierra truck. Now- the system worked great- until I tried to change the pattern- as per the instructions, by touching the "white enable wire" to a 12V source (I used the incoming 12V in the power plug), holding it there for 2 seconds, and then releasing- to change the flash pattern. So I did this with the system on, and poof- lights went out. Now- I turn on the switch- unit powers up for about 1 second- I get about 2 flashes out of the strobes, and then no more flashes (switch still on)- out of the "star shaped" LED on the power unit (diagnostics)- I get one flash, pause, two consecutive flashes, pause, three consecutative flashes, then nothing.

Now- I called Star, strobes n' more to try and diagnose it- because I can replicate the situation above (2 flashes then star flashing)- but they didn't seem to be able to diagnose over the phone given the info above. Star's tech seemed to think it was a faulty module- but I'm not sure of that because id didn't just up and die.

Thoughts? I'm sure the thing is trying to "tell" me what's wrong- but I'm not sure what it's trying to "say"..... anyone have any thoughts? I'm certain it's tied somehow to the unit's pattern changing feature somehow- since it was working fine before I tried to change the pattern.....

Is there some way to restore its "brain" to factory settings?

Thanks,
    Matt

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

If they cant tell you what is wrong with it then I would just send it back to them and have it replaced with a new one.

3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

You're suppose to have a glass fuse in there, along with a switch. Did you check the fuse on the power supply.

4. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

If the fuse was no good the pack would not have any power at all. But cant hurt to check

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Did you talk to Louis at strobes n more? He knows his stuff. I would try to talk to him directly

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Checked all fuses, ground, voltage- everything checks out. Called louis- to no avail.....

7. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I know ts a brand new unit but things happen, start unplugging tubes and see if you have a bad light.

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Turned out to be a faulty unit- brand new out of the box :(