1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!!! Spl 14'

Discussion in 'Pro-Tech Sno Pushers' started by 4x4Farmer, Feb 1, 2009.

1. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Have a 14' Loader model, bought it with the post recepticals for the bucket to slide into. Now I want to get the quick tach hooks for it. I thought about making them, and I dont have a problem making the hooks, its trying to make the the template up aginst the pusher. Can I get the hooks already formerd from pro-tech and just weld them on myself? I dont want to just weld the quick tatch hooks on, I want it to be done right so they will be formed into the back of the pusher in-between the supports. I have called pro-tech, but never talked to anyone. They just tell me to call bobcat of grand forks, my closest dealer, but Its not a part they sell. I have a feeling the time and money I would put into it trying to custom build one I could order them from pro-tech if i could get ahold of them. Any help???

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Basically you just cut the bucket forks off and make up the quick tach plate. That's what I like about Arctic pushers, you can switch from bucket mount to quich tach in 15 min. I think your over thinking things. Send Neige a PM, he's a distributor for Protech.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You could call Arctic about the formed plates, not sure what they sell them for but you could just weld them on then. Just food for thought.

4. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

we had talked about doing that. Just welding whatever we need to onto the psuher and then just bolting the arctic one onto it. The only thing that worries me is the support I need. Can I just go off the bottom two support beams as you can see in my picture or should I use all three like in the other picture? I know I'll have to cut out the center post or my hooks will get to high. I think you might be right about over thinking this, but i just want to do it right, one time!!

001.jpg

009.jpg

001.jpg

009.jpg

5. Ditchdiggin

Ditchdiggin Member

I'll get you a picture in the morning. You can have both hook-ups. No need to remove the part that the bucket goes into.

6. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

thanks man, would like to have both if possable.

7. Ditchdiggin

Ditchdiggin Member

Here ya go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Something like that would work, but I would like my hooks a little lower. Stack higher and not sure about pushing from up top like that. I did get ahold of pro-tech this morning and I was not real happy what they told me. They said that they coulden't get me the hooks. I know damn well they have them cut out in there manufacturing plant just laying there in a stack. I thought pro-tech was the way to go, but they sure don't seem to want to help me out. Guess I'll do it myself!! Thanks for the help guys, I'll post some pics if i ever get it done!!

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Try again, maybe go higher up the food chain and tell them you already have their product.

I had this years ago when I added a hydraulic folding kit after we bought it from them. Got some song and dance about it being proprietary, blah, blah, blah. They thought I had bought the kit from somewhere else and was trying to get free info from them. :rolleyes: All I wanted was the templates on where to weld everything. Once they understood that I already had the kit and pusher from them, the problem went away.

I'd be worried about pushing that high too.

10. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Yeah, I think Im going to get them built by someone in town. I guess if that doesen't work out I could try to call them back again.

11. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

we just tackled the exact same project you are looking into. we had a metal fab shop here in town make a paper template, and then had the mounts made out of 1" steel. we then welded them on ourselves. we had 4 sets made, and it cost us $700. our mount is for a john deere 244j. if it is the same as yours, i would send you a copy of the paper template. just let me know.

12. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Is your tatch the IT style? Im going to try to finish making the template today, if I have troubles I'll let you know and maybe i can get that from you. Thanks

13. 01CTD2500

01CTD2500 Member

We had Grand Forks Welding build the hook for us. I know everyone over at bobcat pretty well aslo so I could talk to them about getting them from Protech too. Let me know.

14. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

How much did Forks welding charge you? I had a guy get back to me about cutting out a set for 325.00 I thought that dident sound too bad, now im just hoping my hooks and hole is perfect on my template so it will attach! lol
    I might have to see if you can talk to someone at bobcat and see if they cant get ahold of protech and get a price on the hooks from them. I think that pro-tech will deal better with a dealer then a privite guy.
    P.S Hows the freezing rain a-thon going up that way?? I herd there were a couple good pile ups that way this morning!

15. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Henke Manufacturing out of Leavenworth, KS makes those hooks. Try calling them or go to the local Henke dealer.

16. cjm8232

cjm8232 Member

We do not have the hooks here, never have. We do not make them here, never have; we would have to buy them from either JRB, ACS, CAT, etc. It is patent infringement to make other manufacturers hooks. Looks like someone here gave you bad info, sorry about that. One of our distributors would be told the same thing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  17. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I guess I never got that far as to even talking to someone to see if you guys did have them. As far as I would ever get is the receptionist. So really no one gave me bad info. Im having the hooks cut out as we speak and hopefully mounted up by next week sometime.

18. 01CTD2500

01CTD2500 Member

Sorry been away. Welding charged us more then that to cut them. Freezing rain sucked arse, very glad that its done and gone. Nice to finally see some snow. We are heading out a little later when the wind dies down a bit more.

Mike

19. SPCanada

SPCanada Junior Member

"It is patent infringement to make other manufacturers hooks"

This is false

20. cjm8232

cjm8232 Member

Sir, you may be correct. It may have been years ago that it was patent infringement, and that may have been the reason why we have always purchased the hooks direct from the manufacturer or distributor. But I do know we never made the hooks here and we have never and would never stock them. It makes no business sense. There are too many styles to stock them, and 95% of our customers want the bucket mount. On a side note, when you order a set of hooks from JRB or a mount from ACS there is a lead time(depending on the style needed)...Why? Because they have to build the hooks, because there are a lot of different kinds, they do not even stock. If the manufacturer of the coupler doesn't stock the hooks why would we? The manufacturer of Snow Pushers?

The hooks from the manufacturer or distributor cost $1,000-$2,500, that is without install. So if you can get them made and installed locally for much less you should do so, and Pro-Tech will help you by building you a pusher without the bucket mount. And if you provide us with the inside to inside spacing of the coupler you are going to install we will custom build your snow pusher's vertical supports with the same spacing as your coupler...this makes the install easier.

The other thing about having it done locally is, if there is a problem, you do not and we do not want to be shipping things all the way across the country to fix. The down time and expense would be huge. Some of our distributors install the hooks, and do a great job, so call us and we can help you.

Lastly, there are advantages and disadvantages to using a coupler vs. the standard bucket mount. I think to say or assume that a coupler is superior is false. In fact I would argue the bucket mount is superior if only for two reasons: if you lease loaders you can lease any loader with a bucket, also, if you own your equipment the bucket mount is easier on the machine and poses less risk for damage.

So, I do not know what your argument was, I agree that it may not be patent infringement. I have only been with Pro-Tech for 3 years and that was told to me when I started, but we have been doing this for 15 years, so it may be old folk lore. Pro-Tech is not against the use of couplers, we will help you by building you a blank back, but to say we have them sitting here and that we just do not want to sell them is false. Why would we deny selling anything to anyone?