1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help speeding up condo plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plow this, Jan 10, 2010.

1. plow this

plow this Junior Member

Im new to plowing condos this year most of my plowing has been open lots, lots of wide open spaces, now I have to plow several drives and very narrow alley between buildings. I am back dragging each drive and most are to short and narrow to pull straight back so I have to back drag at and angle with blade angled. My technique so far sucks to much left behind and its taking several passes per drive, any advice would be appreciated so I can cut my time down, Im plowing with 2500 Hd reg. cab and 7 6" meyer. After I back drag and then clear drive I have alot of crumb pushed back into already cleared drive that have rolled off. Thanks!
  2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

The condo's that we used to do had really short driveways too, We always had the sidewalk crew snow blow them and we only plowed the driving lanes. Sounds like you need a smaller rig like a 4 wheeler or something.
  3. plow this

plow this Junior Member

A smaller vehicle would be ideal, Bobcat would be sweat, Im a subcontractor and I just go where they send me, someplace different ever snow. Im stuck with what I have not what I have is bad its just not ideal.
  4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Put wings on your plow.
  5. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I would say wings or a back dragging blades to get down the the blacktop. If your a sub dont worry if it takes you a little extra time as long as it gets done right.
  6. plow this

plow this Junior Member

I have a poly plow and adding wings for me will be a summer job I have given it some serious thought and have seen the thread on adding wings on poly.
  7. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I've got wings on a 8.5 poly meyer, works great- no issues
  8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Do a little research on a rear plow as well.
  9. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

A baby Bobcat 44" wide, with blower or bucket can be carried by a 2500HD. We've been doing it since '94
  10. Gettindirty

Gettindirty Member

I really like the baby bobcat idea.
  11. plow this

plow this Junior Member

Thanks for all the ideas I think wings are in my future.
  12. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

thats the same thing i do. two guys with snow blowers and then we plow the driving lane, its acually quicker than when we were trying to backdrag all the drives.
  13. agustofson

agustofson Junior Member

wings aren't going to help if you backdragging....? think about it. not unless you put them on a$$backwards
  14. plow this

plow this Junior Member

Wont they give me extra width so I can back drag in 2 pulls instead of 3 per drive? Just thinking out loud.
  15. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I have some like that and we do them with a JD tractor with a box blade on the rear and instead of backdraggin with the Fisher plow on the front I back right up and scape it clean with one pass driving straight out then back up and get another seven feet................ works great for us and after I pull it all out to the mouth of the drive and can swing sidewise and push it right up in the air 10ft if I need to by just raising the loader arms and away she all goes.................
    Watch our video on YouTube ................. type in "Snow Plowing Northern Maine with John Deere" and it comes right up and you will see the whole set up and get to watch us plowing about 30" with the tractor from one of the big storms of 2008!
  16. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Are they paying you by the hour. If you are going someplace different each event, it would be hard to agree on a per push price since you might have different equipment than what the estimator figured to do it with or are they giving you these condos since you are a sub and they under bid them and they do not want to deal them.
  17. cmlawncare99

cmlawncare99 Junior Member

I have three condo complex's that my company takes care of and i know exactly what you are talking about. Our saving grace is that we use a jeep with a 6.5 foot straight blade. You need to find a guy with a jeep and a blade to sub for you just for the drives. Being that it is shorter you can back drag straight and not a angle. Or charge the property manager hourly for a bobcat and rent the equipment. Make sure you get a box for the bobcat or blower because unless the guy operating it is good the bucket alone isnt as effective
  18. RTEnt

RTEnt Member

Bobcat is definitely the way to go. We run an S250 2 speed with a 8' straight blade on it. Not only does it have the agility to get in and out of tight driveways but it's efficient at plowing off the roadways as well.
  19. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Agree. Wings will do little if any justice in this case. I am going to jump on the Bobcat band wagon.
  20. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Rear pull plow...my only advice
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010