1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help - speedcast

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BillyRgn, Dec 20, 2011.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

First off the set up is a 94 gmc 2500 with a 350 v-8 and a 8ft speedcast with the under hood pump operated by cables.
    The problem, the truck plowed last storm and was working fine for a few hours and then would not lift or angle without steping on the gas, finished out the storm with It and finally looked at it today. When the truck first starts and it is cold it will go up and down as well as angle, however after letting it run for about a half hour it tries to lift and will get about a half inch off the ground and won't go any farther, the angle is the same way if it is on the ground but if it is lifted it will move pretty good. So I changed the fluid checked the couplings and made sure everything was flowing and samething cold it works however it seems a little slow but I didn't really no how Fast it should be and after it warms up same thing you have to give it a little gas fir it to work ffine. I tried to tighten the belt the best I could but same thing. This plow has no leaks and holds height well, no creaping at all. I also checked and made sure the cables were getting a full pull and they are. Iam all out of ideas and have no experience with this set up. Help me please. Thanks in advance for the responses.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

worn out pump by the sounds of it.

hotter fluid thins out and cant hold pressure in weak pump.

you need spec of 1800 psi on the pump output aspr fisher. i used a 3000psi gauge tee'd in to the lift ram on mine to test via lifting up and holding. i had 1500 cold and 800rpm rpm. not bad but little low. and i have 8ft speedcaster on 350 engine also .

time to watch ebay and here for a new replacement pump.

3. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Do you think putting a thicker fluid in would make it last longer, also any idea on a pump price ? And can you find them new or are they all remans? Sorry for all the questions, thank you for all the help

4. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Do you think it is a simple as the belt is slipping? Just check tension before spending $$ on a new pump-- just a thought

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

can find new fisher and aftermarket.

seen as cheep as 50 to 250 on auction like ebay.

and he said belt is tight.

also buy a gauge and tee fitting first and test the psi .

no real thicker fluid trick .

6. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Thanks I will deffinatly try and pick up a gauge tommorow and see whare I'm at thanks for the help