1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

*Help* Snowex 8500 Problem

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TwoBrosLawn, Mar 1, 2012.

1. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

I have a Vmaxx 8500 with the newest controller, after the last storm we had this start happening: I turn on the controller (spinner side) shows "99" and switchs to "10" while beeping, it just keeps repeating what i described, if i unplug the spinner the auger will start but still no spinner, a local shop said my harness is fried, I say false. Any help is appreciated. we are expecting 4-8 inches tomorrow afternoon.
    i checked and moved my ground to a new location still no fix

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

What happens if you unplug the spinner, the auger starts and then you plug the spinner back in?

3. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

the auger turns and spinner does nothing. My buddy gave 12v direct to the spinner and it turns so the problem is not the spinner itself.

4. Triple L

from Canada

I'm sure you've done it already but have you completly unplugged the controller and put all the wires back on?

5. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

i did. no change

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

you still cant rule out the spinner totally. the way the controller works is by amps. the controller will turn on the spinner,,but if it sees to many amps,,it will shut it down.
    did you remove the cover and look at the spinner motor and trans??
    i have replaced many of them that "seemed" fine. i have never had any read 10 and beep tho.

7. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

i was trying to avoid that because the 8 bolts r rusted

8. dieselss

For the spinner cover right? I had to say it but if they are that bad your trans might have crap in it and its causing to high of a resistance. You might just be able to bypass the controller with a seprate switch. Workes in a pinch

9. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

Had the same problem.... The spinner motor is pooched and will give up the ghost soon,.... salt dust gets in the motor and cooks it!

tymusic

10. Triple L

from Canada

The good part is the spinner motor is most likely cheaper then a new harness... I've done 3 spinner motors already but never had that problem with the controller doing that...

A very good air hammer will be your friend when you do this job!

11. dieselss

That's the wierd part...the 10. Unless the knob control is going out?

12. Triple L

from Canada

do you know anyone with another snowex? bring your spinner over to his truck and hook it up and see what happens... that will solve all your questions...

13. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

When the spinner is directly fed power how is the speed of the spinner??? Keep cycleing power on and off letting the spinner come to a complete rest. I bet the wires running from the main wire to the brush are getting green and loosing continuty. If the spinner finds a flat spot and will not restart then the spinner motor 100%.

I would pre soak all the bolts holding the trans to the base plate and the spinner with a good penitrating fluid. Add heat and be patient. My gut is thinking spinner motor.

14. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

I soaked them a few days ago, im thinking of grinding them off and just replacing the nuts and bolts. we only gave the spinner direct power once and it spun, dont know at what speed though. the "10" isn't a code its just the lowest number the controller goes to, and 99 obviously the highest....and it doesnt matter the position on the knob high, low, middle no change

15. dieselss

Ok. That's kinda leading me towards the controller now. If you can't change speed, that's all in the knob

16. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

as soon as I turn on the controller it beeps and the spinner number changes from 10 to 99....and continues until i turn off the power. no chance to change the speed or do anything other than power on and off...how can i check if its the controller?

17. dieselss

Ok. So you can't change the speed at all right? And does it go to an "error" code or no?

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Go to a dealer with a test box. they can check it.

19. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

i took it to a shop, they put a test box on it and it said the auger motor was bad. after running some tests and hooking up a new spinner with no results. We grabbed a new female plug for the spinner, when we stripped back the wire it was all corroded so we cut back the wire to get clean wire, installed the new plug as a safety precaution, hooked everything up and now it works fine...end result corroded wire between harness and female spinner plug...on harness side...this makes sense in my head if you ahve questions please ask...thanks for all the help

20. dieselss

So it was bad on the main harness side? The plug that's bolted to the frame?