1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help ! Snow removal from steps is a heart attack waiting to happen.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mlaury, Oct 18, 2014.

1. mlaury

mlaury Junior Member

I am 58 years old and have high blood pressure. Part of my job description is snow removal at our school and church. We have many outdoor steps. It takes me about an hour to shovel them. It's a pain. Is there a step size snowblower other than the Toro 12"? Any other suggestions?

2. EPM

EPM Member

We use leaf blowers alot but im guessing in St. Louis you get alot of heavy wet snow. Probably wouldnt work as well. You have to have a pretty big backpack blower either way to get anything done in a reasonable amount of time.

3. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Might be time to hire a neighbor kid to help tackle the steps.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

He's a maintenance man,don't think so. Here's the mean part,make sure your health insurance is good and make sure you have plenty of life insurance if you die shoveling to take care of your family. So with that said,have you looked into having radiant heat put into the steps?

5. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm aware of that. Given it's a church and school, I would think they may be open to the option of allowing help over finding their maintenance guy face down in the snow and only half the steps shoveled.

6. nixray

nixray Senior Member

It's a CHURCH so IMO. Put a mention in the weekly buliten, stating they're looking for a couple volunteers (youth group etc.)

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  8. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Go slow!!! Use a stiff broom if you have to.

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Give the neighborhood kid $10 and a hot chocolate to help out. Maybe give a call to the boy scouts or girl scouts, they love to volunteer. Put up a flyer at a local university. There's lots of cheap help out there, you just have to be creative

10. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

Talk with a doctor and maybe he'll give you a note saying you need help with job because of your condition

11. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

string trimmer with the paddle attachment

12. Billious

Billious Member

We should clarify - are you shoveling UP stairs or DOWN stairs? I have a property with two basement staircases, and snow drifts down them. We need to shovel out these staircases by carrying each shovel full up the stairs and it SUCKS.

If you're just clearing off steps going down the stairs, get a paddle attachment for a string trimmer and you'll wonder how you ever did it the old way...

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Seen it done.

15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

16. JoeyWuzHere

JoeyWuzHere Junior Member
    from geneva

Anti-icing liquids on the steps is awesome, look in to it of it is in the budget