1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help setting up my truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JOHNTIBZ, Sep 5, 2003.

1. JOHNTIBZ

JOHNTIBZ Junior Member
    from NH

Hi guys,
    I recently purchased a newer truck to plow this winter. In the past I always bought high mileage 3/4 tons and beat them into the ground plowing, basically disposable trucks. I plow some pretty rugged driveways and didn't want anything to nice. After laying under my truck in several ice and snow storms last season I decided to get something a little nicer. I found a nice 94 chevy 3/4 ton HD big block, that appears to be well kept. I know its older but its really nice looking and runs great. I don't want to kill it this winter. My main concern is the front suspension, I know about cranking in the torsion bars, but my old truck really sagged picking up my 8 ft fisher minute mount, how can I make this truck a little stiffer to handle the weight, the trucks already pretty nose heavy with the 454. Also any suggestions to get a little more power out of it? I want to take the cats off and put a less restrictive exhaust on it, nothing to loud, customers hate that!!! Banks offers some kits for headers exhaust and induction, anyone have any experience, they claim big gas mileage increases which would be nice.
    Thanks for any tips,
    John

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Cranking up the torsion bars about 6 turns will help level out the truck,and raise the front some.Add a set of Timbens,and it should carry a plow just fine.

Adding a good air filter,or intake,and a decent exhaust will help.I wouldn't suggest removing the cats,as they will help keep the noise down,it's illegal,and they don't hurt flow much.A superchip will wake it up some and make it respond better to any other mods you have done.You can also bump the timing up a few degrees to help power and mileage some as well.

Don't believe all the claims on big power and mileage increases.You should see a small increase in power,and a little mileage if you keep your foot out of it.I wouldn't expect more than 1 mpg or so with those upgrades.

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Wyldman, crank up the torsion bars several truns and install a set of Timbrens. Alot of Plowsite members who installed Timbrens in their truck front end swear by that it does help reduce front end sag.

4. JOHNTIBZ

JOHNTIBZ Junior Member
    from NH

thanks

can you get timbrens for a 94, I have been on a couple sites, and they were 96 and up?????? I thought the trucks were the same in 96, but might be wrong. Thanks for the advice.
    John

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Timbren part number GMFK35C should be the kit you need for the front of your truck.Very easy to install,just pop them in place of the bumpstops.

6. JOHNTIBZ

JOHNTIBZ Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks

Wyldman you know your Sh@#!!!!! Good man thanks for the help.
    JOhnny TIbbs:angry:

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

In 96 and up,some of the trucks had a cast control arm.I think they were only the 1/2 tons though.They use a different part number.Your truck is the same as the older,and some of the newer ones.

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

1994 isnt that old of a truck at all. My truck is a 1992 1500 Chevy with a 350 motor and a 7.5' Western Pro Plow with the torsion bars turned up slightly. I recently added a set of Timbrens to the frontend also, but havent hooked the plow up yet to see how it does. Just from looking at the Timbrens and seeing them installed, they should serve the purpose perfectly. My friend has a 1992 Chevy 2500 with a 454 motor and a Fisher Minute Mount 7.5 RD plow and his truck handles it fine also. Im not sure if he even touched his torsion bars or not, but I know for a fact he DOES NOT have Timbrens in his truck and it carrys the plow fine, but of course his 7.5' RD isnt as heavy as the HD 8' Fisher plow. These Chevys really do good snowplowing, regardless of the independant front suspesion. What kind of snowplow are you looking into getting? What snowplow dealers do you have locally to where you live? Mike :waving:

9. JOHNTIBZ

JOHNTIBZ Junior Member
    from NH

Fisher

I have a Fisher minute mount, 8 ft off of my old truck. I just have to get new push plates, my old 2500 was a light duty, this ones a hd. My old truck did really good, I just didn't like the way the front end squatted down when I would lift the plow. I'm in Alton Nh, which is central Nh. Lots of good storms here, last seaon was a ball, a few good 15" snow falls, me and my dog pulling all nighters!!!! Thanks for the feed back.
    John

10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Add a set off timbrens. Maybe add a few extra springs to the rear.pumpkin: