1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP SET-UP '98 Dodge 3/4 Ton...

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BeastMaster, Nov 21, 2010.

1. I have a '98 Dodge 3/4 ton gas. 360 cu. in. Bone stock everything on this truck. I have a brand new 8' Super Duty Boss strt. blade. The truck has a BRAND NEW Chrysler re-man engine in it.
    Front end parts are all new or in good shape. No timkens needed plow dealer said.

I have no idea what to believe or do. I've read a lot on here but feel like I'm chasing my tail !

What do I need to do NOW to stop any trans/eng. cooling issues before they start ?

I'm running at 205 deg. w/ the blade on just putting around town "testing". Can't lower the blade much as the blade is so big, even when down it covers most of the grille.

Please tell me exactly what to buy, where, etc.

So, far, I keep hearing H.D. fan, but Auto Zone says there is no such thing.

The stock fan blows thru from engine out, so I guess an electric fan should set on the grille side and suck air THRU from the engine side ? Otherwise, blowing back to the engine, the two fans would be fighting ea. other, correct ?

I have no idea how to install a trans. temp gauge. Trans shop doesn't want to do it either. All they said was to use the front line (closest to the engine) b/c that's where the temp is the hottest.

My trusted, long time shade tree mechanic says I don't need to do anything, says the truck is good to go. It does have a trans cooler BEHIND the radiator (if you were standing in the front of the truck).

I will plow maybe 6 hrs. a day on no more than 4 snow events a yr. (don't get much snow here)

I DO believe in over-kill.
    Feel free to hit me direct too: casey@thebeastmaster.com

HELP ! and Thank You All.

2. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

You should be good to go.You can get the fan at the dealer.I don't know about the trans gage though. I don't have one on my truck. There was a thread on here about where to get that. You might be able to find it if you do a search.Nice looking Dodge you got there. Good luck with it.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

The mechanicial fan on the engine will pull the air through the grill and into the engine compartment. If in doubt bring a sheet of paper outside. With the engine running and place it on the front side of the radiator. If all is correct it should suck itself onto rad and not move.

Do not put any electric fans on the truck!!!! This will actually make it heat up more and cause an electricial strain on the truck. All you need is a HD clutch on the fan. Do some searching and get the part number.....

As for the trans..... Heat is the number one killer of any trans. You have one chance, get her too hot once and get you VISA ready.... I think your biggest issue is your mechanics. Some one who doesn`t want to install a temp guage or help you out for the presevation and reliability needs to go. Adding these should be a piece of cake for any licenced mechaninc who knows there stuff.

If it was me get an auxillary cooler and have it tied into the existing trans cooling loop. Add a temp guage or a warning light to the system. Change the filter have the bands adjusted and get a new extra capacity trans pan. Run synthetic fluids in the diffs and inspect all the universals in the drive line. When replacing components get ones which are greasable and use a graphite based lube. These lube are 50 bucks or so a tube but will increase the longevity of the parts.

When you are done get the truck oil sprayed and use dioelectric grease on all the connections for the plow lights and any visable connection.

Out of the box these older trucks will last a long time.. With a little extra work and pre plow prep they will never let you down!!!
  4. "get the truck oil sprayed "

What do you mean ? Never heard of this. You mean undercarriage, like a Z-bart treatment ?

"Do not put any electric fans on the truck!!!! This will actually make it heat up more and cause an electricial strain on the truck."

I dunno on that one. These little fans draw very little. I put one on my quad w/ a toggle switch b/c it was over heating pushing snow and it solved the issue.
  5. Also, the fan on my truck is 19" from blade tip to blade tip. Do I need a wider fan than this ? 19" seems pretty big already.

Basically the clutch will disconnect the blade from the engine at higher revs. This will decrease the speed at which the fan will turn and decrease the amount of air the fan can pull. By putting on a HD clutch it will change the disconnect point from the engine and will turn the fan much faster and thus pull more air.

Think of it this way... At low rpm the blades of the fan can be calibrated to move lots of air and as the rpm increases the air flow will increase. To reduce the overall drag on the engine at high rpm the engineers developed the clutch. This way they can achieve max flow at idle while it is not needed while you are in motion..... Now you have added a wind block in front of the engine (snow plow), this thows the whole air flow system for a loop. The clutch in a normal fan is designed to disigage at this speed and let the natural air flow of the vehicle cool the truck. Hence the HD clutch is required. It will still be demand the fan to pull air at much higher revs.

Keep in mind for those who have a non clutch fan on thier truck. These blades will actually colapse, or flatten out at higher rpm changing the pitch of the blade and not moving very much air anymore.

Just trust me on the electrical fan thing. Yes they will incease you air flow by 5-10% The HD clutch system can increase it 100-150%......

Oil spray = a rust inhibitor derived from a oil wax combination. It is applied to the undercarage, innerpannels and frame of the vehicle. This blocking the salt and other harsh chemicials from touching the steel of your truck... Almost stopping the rust process.
  7. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

You could also add another battery and do the charging system up grade.You can search it on here.Fluid Film works good for the rust thing.Put something for ballast in your truck.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

'98 Dodge 2500 w/ 360, Torqflow brand severe duty fan clutch, Autozone p/n 922790.

Autozone employees are all top notch experts in their field you know. Always listen to exactly what they say, especially if they read it right out of the brochure. :rolleyes:
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey, maybe most?

A few?

Hee hee hee ...
  10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly- I worked there when I was 16 and didn't know much of anything about fixing cars. If the computer didn't list it or tell me, I had no clue what to do.
  11. schockservices

schockservices Junior Member
    from ND

I have a bone stock 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 gas twin batteries timbren front rubber stops no weight although it is a good idea i think the clutching for the fan is a good idea not sure about electric fan thought about it but just left stock. I carry a 9"2" boss power v steel my route consists of 10 miles of township grave two lane roads and two small cities or villages 150 people each.

V blades will typicially run cooler than straight. This is mostly due because of the air flow charactoristics of the blade plus they are mounted further forward on the front of the truck allowing more natural air flow.