1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help selecting new blower please...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daybreak, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Daybreak

Daybreak Junior Member

I have a handful of commercial lots I do that have sidewalks. I have always shoveled them only, no matter how deep the snow. That's getting old...and so am I! Looking at getting a new blower to be used on the commercial walks, and some of my residential walkways during bigger storms. We get 150"+ every year, so it'll get some use.

These are the three models I am looking into. They are available locally, and from good reputable dealers, and are all around the same price. Any suggestions, advice, thoughts, preferences,ect.... Would be appreciated!

-Ariens Deluxe 28". 250cc polar force/Briggs
    -John Deere 1028E. 28". 305cc Briggs
    -Husqvarna 12527HV 27". 291cc snow king.

Thanks very much for any help!

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Love my ariens a lot. But all are good names

3. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Ariens builds blowers for Deere.

Husqvarna is AYT/Roper They build them for Sears. (MTD also makes them for sears)

In my neck of the woods, everyone runs Toro or Ariens.

I've got a pile of Toro 418 single stages that go with me every time. My Ariens Deluxe 30" comes with when we get more than 4" of wet stuff. It's a beast, but I hate loading and unloading it. It's close to 400lbs.

All that being said, Ariens has by far the beefiest build quality, but I really like Toro's trans axle design that keeps the front from wanting to climb up, but rather dig into snow banks.

4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Further advice, if you get lots of light powder, get a single stage or 2 or 3 for the price and be done faster, with cleaner concrete and no back ache from loading a heavy ass two stage monster.

5. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

I'm old school, Gravely for me. All of my units are either MA210's on a 8xx series or Commercial 10, or blades on a Commercial 10.

Heavy as ****, damn near bulletproof, and do a damn good job cleaning up.

If I was buying new, I would use an Ariens or Honda.

6. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

I have Ariens and would highly recommend it

7. ringahding1

ringahding1 Senior Member

Toro Power Clear 621R or E has done the trick for us @ commercial and residential accounts. Man this thing is tougher than it looks.

[​IMG]

8. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

we run the toro power clears like in the above post, absolutely awesome IF it is powder...if it's wet snow they are absolutely worthless...2 stage is needed for wet snow...problem is they are heavy and slow...if we buy another two stage we will be buying something very powerful and wide because they are going to be heavy anyways, might as well trailer it...just bought a snow blower for one of our grasshoppers, i'm hoping it's awesome

9. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

haven't looked at 2 stage walk behinds in a while, so i just checked them out...i've always heard ariens was towards the top...if it was me, i would buy a very nice hydro walk behind that can handle a lot of snow and has a wide swath, at least 28"...then i would also buy a single stage, preferably toro...if the snow if dry, you will simply walk, i mean run circles around any two stage, but if it's wet, you have no choice...

10. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I have Simplicity Pro and Ariens---the Simplicity pro while expensive really is a tremendous unit and very rugged. It has a centrifugal clutch on the 2nd stage which helps keep RPMs contant even in wet snow. We have one drive that has some poor drainage and on warmer snows tends to have a puddle--with the simplicity you can blow right through the puddle with no issue and no clogging

11. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I should add that all my ariens are older--they really last for a long time though I expect the same from the simplicity

12. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I just blew thru 10 solid wet inches with my single stage toro 2450. more in some places. The toro single stages are champs. Sounds like you are leaning to a heavy duty 2 stage. cant say I blame you,when u average 150" hope you have a strong back and a good helper to get it out if the truck

13. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

X 2....I have never heard anything bad about Simplicity Pro snowblowers. The local dealer feels they are even superior to the almighty Honda.

Zack

14. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

I bought a new Ariens Deluxe 28 last winter. I've only used it about 8 times so far, but it works excellent. I'm not sure if all snowblowers have this feature, but on the left hand grip there is a lever underneath that you squeeze and let go, and it will run with both wheels locked in.... squeeze the lever and let go again and it turns into a 1 wheel drive to you can turn super sharp and very easily.

15. everestscape

everestscape Member

We have all single stage toro's, in particular the CR2450 with the R-tek 2 stroke 5 hp motor. Pound for pound these little guys power through anything I have ever thrown at it.IThe powerband on these 2 strokes scream and really thrown snow. I try and find these used because the new 4 strokes suck. I only have one 2 stage blower left and we havent used it in years.

16. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

I like my Toro single stage blowers. Most of the time a Toro single stage got er done. I also have an old MTD two stage for drifts.

This fall I found a John Deere F930 a 46" snow blower and 76" mower.

17. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

My take on snowblowers

My son and I do about 65 drives with snowblowers and I think I can comment on this topic.I run commercial Ariens 1332 and the 933 cub cadets.Overall they are both junk.Every brand out there can do a handful of drives per storm but when you are putting an equivalent of 3 yrs per stom on a snowblower wear and tear takes its toll.Overall though the cub cadet is superior drive over the Ariens after working on both.The Ariens has a lot better metal chute than the plastic cub cadet.The cub cadet will get ripped off its mounts with constant heavy slush and ice.The Ariens cables will freeze up and the location of the battery is no good when it comes to slush.The biggest motors are necessary to get through the heavy end of driveway stuff.We get about 20 drives per tank of fuel.I think the tank is about 1 gallon or so.The wimpy 3/8" belts are a joke.The ariens does have dual auger belts though. IMO there should be dual auger and drive belts and the size should be 1/2".Maybe they use 3/8" belts for flexibility in the cold.Ariens claims to be making blowers for 70 years----they do not have a superior product.

18. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

Sorry to get off topic but milkie how long does it take you to do that many drives and how big are they?

19. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

They are approx 2 car lengths long and either 1 or 2 car lengths wide.We can each do 6-7 per hour including walkway and steps and cleaning up in front of the garage.

20. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

There is money to be made in snowblowing if you know how to do it properly and not have alot of cash outlay.Would be happy to discuss it on phone or a pm.