1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help requested with headlight electrics issue for 2001 Silverado 2500HD

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by woodchuckcanuck, Oct 16, 2009.

1. I'm wondering if this is something we can try to fix with the help for the members or should I just go a shop to get it fixed. I bought this truck yesterday. Only a couple problems really but this one needs to get some attention.

The previous owner had a plow on it and he said all he did was unplug one plug. Now when the low beams are on (both work fine), the driver's side high beam light has a low glow. And when I turn on the high beams, both high beams works ok but both low beams are on with a low glow.

Suggestions?

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of plow did he have on it ?????

3. He had a Boss V on it. But since I've posted the question, I had put the truck in my shop and troubleshooted until I finally figured it out. Took about an hour and I blew six 15 amps along the way, but its all good now.

The black plugs and the grey plugs that provide power to the lamps were not coordinated. Apparently they can be plugged in either way (plug in or turn 180 degress and plug in). But I seen that one side is marked 'A' and the other is 'B'. I figured that might have something to do with it. I don't recall how he had it, but the lights were all messed up. So I unplugged everything and started over. I kept starting with the 'A' side. Low beams worked fine. Then I'd plug in the high beams and they would come on but the low beams would stay on. When I tried doing different configurations of A's and B's, is when I started blowing fuses.

Eventually I figured out all the B's have to be facing the same side as the catch/clip mechanism used to keep the plugs together. Good thing, I had robbed all of the misc 15amp fuses from the box under the hood. :D

Now, I'd like to know about those fog lamps that are next to the signal lights. Bulbs are there, fuse is in place, I can't find a switch on the dash to turn them on. Mind you, I didn't look to hard...it was supper time. :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

5. Thanks. I'll check tomorrow.

While we are on electrical, I have another question. I have an aux button on the dash, next to the airbag on/off keyhole. From reading the manual, that means the truck is wired for a roof top light. So if I purchase an amber light, where would I find the wiring to plug into?

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Might have to pull the header trim over the drivers door and then lightly pull the headliner down, slide your hand straight in about where the back edge of the door is and you will find the wires taped to the headliner.

7. Thanks man! So I guess running them to the cargo light is the answer. Maybe I should just read the posts in teh Strobe and Lighting forum. :)