1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! rear springs/shocks for hauling/towing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cameo89, Mar 5, 2010.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

First off I have a 1998 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 7'6'' Boss Poly up front, and I just bought a Boss TGS-1100 salt spreader from a fellow plowsite member and I know it is built/designed for a 3/4 ton and up, but......with the weight of the spreader and extra salt I think it's gonna be a little to much weight in back, I went to a few auto part stores and everyone suggest a heavy duty air shock? that would probably work due to the fact that in the summer I don't want the back all jacked up when spreader is not in use, would 3/4 ton springs solve my problem with out raising the back up to far? or does someone offer a bag system that won't break the bank?
    Thanks, Yon

2. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

3/4 ton spring will handle the weight, but it will jack up the back end. Your best bet would be a set of air springs for the rear. Air Lift and Firestone are the 2 names that come to mind. You can usually pick up a set for the rear for just under $200.

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

cheapest bags I could find were from Arnott, $225 compared to $350 for Firestone or Airlift. But mine are 5000lbs, maybe jmassi is referring to the 1000lb bags. Which would probably be plenty.

I love my airbags, the adjustability is great.

4. Detroitdan

They also make Timbrens for the rear

5. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Well Boss website claims that the spreader weighs 152lbs plus mount, but I beg the differ, I removed 12 bags (600lbs) of salt out of my bed to go pick up the salter, and it put the same amount of weight on the truck, dry NO salt IMO.

Firestone air bags, 5k rating for $260, thats not to bad
    http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/2025C.html

would the $75 monroe air shocks do the job, load rating is 1-2k depending on part number

6. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

You're right Detroitdan, i was thinking of the 1000lb bags since he has a 1/2 ton, but i'm sure the bigger ones would work too.

I would go with either the air bags or timbrens.

That's my .02, fwiw. :salute:

7. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Thanks guys, it will probably be a summer project, due to all the money I have spent over the last few weeks.

8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with everyone here. Get the Firestone Ride Rite 5000k Air bags. That price you found is for just the air bags. You have to manually fill them up. These are the ones I bought, I have since bought a on board compressor and 2.5 gallon tank. Makes life much easier. They are very simple to install, I did a write up on them in the Truck/ Equipment repair forum. There is pictures in my profile as well.

They are money WELL spend, believe me. :nod:

9. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

double convoluted 5K capacity firestone air bags are only 250 bucks from truckspring.com, 350 is way outta line, even my local truck place can get em for 270+tax. i have a set on my dump that i fill with my compressor at home, which is fine b/c i never really need to adjust the pressure, just check it once a month and keep it at 80-90psi and its no problem.

10. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Yes I will go with the firestone bags and no reason for add ons because I have a large air compressor in my garage, I will probably leave spreader and salt in/on my truck for the entire winter months, so no reason to waist money on a onboard compressor.

Thank you all for your replies, Yon

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I put the AirLift bags on my 97K2500. They work great.

12. Detroitdan

5ks are really overkill for a 1500. Do they even make them for that truck? 1ks would probably be plenty sufficient for what you want to do.

I got my Arnott system on Ebay for $225, it is exactly the same as either the Airlift or Firestone set, I forget which one right now. The bags are made by Continental, which is one of the biggest rubber manufacturers on the planet. I found an onboard compressor with in-cab gauge and controller from JCWhitney for $99. I'm glad I did, I find myself adjusting it all the time, every time I load or unload the truck, or hook up a trailer I play with it to get it where I'm happy. Probably could set it in the middle and forget about it, but it's one more toy for me to play with.