1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Quick! Which One???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Gatewayuser, Nov 16, 2005.

Which One Would You Buy and Use

1. Magnesium Chloride

3 vote(s)
  2. Calcium Chloride

6 vote(s)
  3. Sodium chloride (rock salt)

12 vote(s)
  4. 20% Salt and 80% potassium chloride mix

1 vote(s)
  5. lesco ice melt 2

0 vote(s)
  6. lesco ice melt 1

1 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser Senior Member

I know this is in the wrong spot but I need responces quick. Which type of ice treatment would you recommend, I was thinking about getting a 80% potassium chloride and 20% salt mix. Should I be worried about the high melting temps and the corrosiveness of salt. What about Mag. Chloride it has low melting temps but hardens quickly, cal. chloride has low melt temps but is very dusty. My spreader is SnowEx 575. Thanks for the help!!!
  2. paponte

paponte Senior Member

They all have their individual uses and applications. Salt Salt/sand for lots is great, and most cost efficient... until the temps drop. Calcium and mixed products are all round versitle, but more expensive if used all the time. :cool:
  3. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

where will you be using it on? What applications?
  4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser Senior Member

Drive ways and small parking lots.
  5. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Salt until 15 degrees, Calcium Chloride after that. In Cinci, you'll probably only need rock salt unless you have an unusal winter.
  6. kyle volz

kyle volz Member
    from Midwest

Your market is very similar to mine. We use a lot of salt, but also use a blended product also. If you are using a your SnowEx 575 you can mix salt and your blended product together and give your clients exceptional melting power at an excellent cost. Feel free to call me if you like and I'll explain how we do it. 502-499-7841.