1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help, questions about installing an Ultrmount

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by show-n-go, Dec 1, 2009.

1. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

We are in the middle of installing my Ultra-mount on my Excursion and ran into a problem.
    On the truckside mount: the upper part of the mount where you have to drill holes, how in the heck am i supposed to get the nut on the back og th ebolt onvce i drill it. The longest wrench we have in the whole shop is still 3-4 inches to short??? I'm hoping you guy's know a trick. I'm running very short on time so i only did a couple of quick searches and didn't find anything.

Thank you in advance. and if it's easy to talk instead of type give me a call 513-403-5553

thank you deric

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

weld a piece of steel onto the bolt as a sort of handle. Then you can hold it. I used a welding rod

3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Ah, ok thank you.. I guess i'll have to finish it tom night, we don't have a welder at the car dealership.. I knew i should have done this at the other shop..

4. Della Rio

Della Rio Junior Member

Yep this will do the trick. Good luck and cross your fingers

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Must be a used mount. A new one would have included handle nuts for those hard to reach bolts. No big deal to make your own though, as the others already mentioned.

Be sure to properly torque them. :nod:

6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Yup, i bought it from a guy on Plowsite.

My mechanic looked at a me like i had 2 heads :dizzy:and said, do you think I'm magic.. As i was laughing i said well i bought the bolt kit from western to install it, it should have everything..... We should have it done later today and as soon as i hook up the plow I'll get some pics..
    He has never installed a plow before but he had the harness on in less than an hour, and it was looking like the whole install was going to go very fast until we hit this little snag.
    Thanks for the help guy's...
    BTW, the western install book doesn't have torque specs. What should they be?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Torque specs should be in the mount install sheet. But here they are again....

TQ.jpg