1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Putting on Removing Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ryanp37, Nov 22, 2008.

1. ryanp37

ryanp37 Junior Member

Ok, let me preface this by saying that I am not a professional plower by any means. I have an extremely long driveway and as a result need a plow to clear it. At one point I had an old school non minute mount fisher but I upgraded last winter by purchasing a newer truck with a fisher minute mount plow. For the life of me I cannot get this plow back onto my truck. Last year, when I tried to put the plow on for the season it took me, three neighbors and three hours to put the plow back on for the year. Given that it is called a "minute mount" I have to believe that I am missing something very obvious because I assume that minute mount plows should be much easier to put on than the old school ones. No matter what I do I cannot get the truck mount holes to line up with the pins in the plow assembly. Given that the plow assembly is so darn heavy, I have little flxibility to move the thing. I am attaching several pictures to illustrate what I am dealing with here. I realize that this may sound like a super stupid question to you pro's out there but I am throwing myself at your mercy and hoping that one of you might help me.

Thanks for reading and any help you can offer.

Paul

1122081404.jpg

1122081405.jpg

1122081405a.jpg

1122081405b.jpg

1122081405c.jpg

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

To me it looks like your a-frame isn't up high enough....looks a couple inches low.

3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

not sure but it looks like the stand and the plow are sunk in the ground and on un-even ground at that..........

I would get it to flat ground or plywood or something more level and see if that helps things line up.........

Also, is that the truck the plow came off of??? Same mount???

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

1) Why is the truck hole so High compared to the plow locking pins?
    On my plow the tower is almost vertical when I drive the truck in.

When you unhook the plow
    1) put the plow in float
    2) collapse the lifting arm
    3) Pull the center foot release
    4) while holding the release for the center foot lift on the plow light bar
    5) lock in the center foot into the highest hole you can get
    6) Pull the release pins that hold the plow to the truck
    7) unhook the electrics and back out

now when you go to hook up the plow the holes will line up better.

5. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

First thing you have to do is connect all the plugs so you have power to the plow,put the controler in float mode and push down on the lift triangle til the piston is completley collapsed, then push the headgear rearwards and up at the same time (you may need a hand with this part), your pins should now be lined up (or pretty darn close) have you helper pop the pins while you hold the headgear up (or vice-versa) and you're done. In the future always make sure that that the lift piston is fully retracted before removeing the plow, the safety chain is hooked up so the headgear doesn't fall backward onto your hood(ask me how i know), your plow is on firm level ground (use a couple of boards under the blade and jackstand if you need to), and your jackstand is at the proper height. Good luck, Roy

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

Frame is way out of wack.
    Its a fisher frame but maybe someone tweaked it for some reason? Hard to tell but is the chain lift welded right to the triangle?

Truck side looks fine.

And no . It doesn line up.

EDIT: jack stand is laying over too.
    Hate to say it but i want one more pic. from the side and a few feet further back.
    Somthing not right.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  7. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

I cant reiderate enough about the leavel ground with fisher
    if you can get it on leavel ground or a concreat pad it will make a world of diffrence

8. ryanp37

ryanp37 Junior Member

You guys are right it is not on level ground and it is good to know that this could be a big part of my problem. I cannot thank you all enough for so many responses. As soon as I get daylight again tomorrow I will try all of these suggestions. Again, thanks a million.

9. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

Paul.

MM can be tricky until you get used to them.
    First - collapsing the lift cylinder is key to this as it will give you more slack in the headgear allowing it to be pushed back and stood more upright and better align the plow to your truck brackets. Follow instructions already given in earlier response to collapse the lift cylinder. Secondly, use a jack to help lift and hold the plow A-frame while trying to mate it to the truck - this is especially helpful when not on even ground.The jack holding most of the weight will allow you to much moreeasily maneuver it around to help mate. A rolling mechanics long handle jack works great for this. Note however that without the lift cylinder collapsed you simply may not have enough slack to mate them no matter what you do.
    Lastly, I noted your RI tag - where are you located as I am in Norton, MA but get to RI regularly - if you cant get things squared away I might be able to swing by and give you a hand. But if you cna collapse the lift cylinder and get a jac kto help holdsome weight then you can get it done, esp if you have a buddy helping.

Keep us posted.
    Russell

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Do you have something in the truck bed that wasn't there when you took the plow off? Somehow, the front of the truck raised or the plow lowered. Try this - get the plow jackstand to the next higher hole. You might get a friend to help lift the back of the plow while adjusting the stand; otherwise, I've used a 2x4 as a lever. You should be able to drive right into it and only be about 1/2 higher than the holes in the plow frame. Then just push on the light bar so the pins snap in.

A couple of other items: As you drive into it, the lights should be almost straight up; maybe just slightly forward - not back toward you. If you're at any angle to the plow, you'll need to get straightened. Just drive into the plow and push it easily till both sides are lined up.

It's best to park the plow in a garage, but if you can't - put some concrete blocks or boards under the plow and jackstand to keep them from sinking into the ground.

11. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Just another quick note - i see in your pics that your jack stand was not used when you removed the plow - this is a must on these plows

12. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

for this time only it will be a b***h. you need the hook up eleectrics, pul the lift cylinder all the way in and push up on the bar the lights are mounted on until your pins will lock in.

Now, you do know that your mount has a jack stand right?? It looks like you never lowered the jack stand down, it look like you just forced the pins out and backed up... is that what happened??

13. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Truck side mounts do look like they are pointing toward the sky a bit.
    You need to use the stand if it is broken find a pin or something else to stick through the hole of the stand above the stand mount. Hook up the power put plow in float and push that piston down. Now unhook power and get the truck out of the way. With two people push the head lights and frame toward the plow blade and get the stand in the highest hole you can. If you have a one ton jack that may work too. Now line the truck up straight with the frame and pull forward. It will probably still be to low but pull up as far and tight as you can you may even start pushing the plow frame a bit. Have a helper push the light toward the truck this will level the frame and it should already be in the truck side guide things that are under and around the mounts. As your helper is pushing it toward the truck turn the connecting pins to allow them to snap into place. They still may not line up but they will be resting on the truckside mount and allow you to help the helper push the frame toward the truck. My plow jack sunk this winter and I just went through this myself. I find that swearing at the plow helps.

Most important things... Collapse that piston by floating it on the controller and pushing down by hand.

Get that stand up as far as you can.

Where are you located?

14. Mick

from Maine

I totally missed that:blush2:,

One more of those "Now, I've seen everything". Probably not, though.

15. ryanp37

ryanp37 Junior Member

Success!

Two keys to the process:

#1 getting Piston Compressed
    #2 Getting Plow on level ground

Once I had accomplished the above I used a large pry bar to life the plow frame and play trial and error with the appropriate jack height. Once I got the thing on level ground, the whole process took only one person and no more than a half hour.

Aside from that, this just needs to be said:

I recognize that this must have struck you guys as a stupid series of questions but you have absolutely no idea how much this has helped me out. Each of you get no particular benefit from reading about my dilemma and making suggestions but you did so anyway. You are truly a great and selfless bunch of people and I cannot thank you enough for your time, attention and offers to help me out.
    I hope that each of you and you families have a great Thanksgiving.

Paul R

16. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

When you have done this 3 or 4 times it should take 1 person only 1 to 2 minutes to hook up and plow, it just take getting use to driving up to the plow at the right spot and angle, find a reverence point on the hood and on the plow when you park the plow and use the same to hook it back up again.

Good luck, and happy plowing:salute:

17. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I can assume that most of us Fisher owners have had difficult sessions similar to yours until we figured out what the problems were! Your success on Plowsite was humility, as you identified a situation without all kinds of critique about how this plow is crap...
    People want others to succeed in ways we've failed (temporarily). We figure our time spent swearing & scratching our a$$es on this problem before is enough to help others from having the same lengthy misfortunes.

Feel free to spend more time on Plowsite as a snowplowing enthusiast.

18. Mick

from Maine

Paul, don't worry about it. When I started, I had lots of trouble and was on here every day (it seemed like) with something different. I've used pry bars, long boards, hydraulic jacks and about everything imaginable at one time or another - even a chain hoist. I even had the plow and jackstand freeze into the ground. Not only was it too low to match the truck, I couldn't get it jacked out of the ground. Now, I can set the pins just right so I can (sometimes) just drive into it and bump it enough to make the pins snap into place. It just takes A LITTLE practice.

The main thing is - You learned something. You won't make the same mistake again.

19. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

Good for you Paul - as others have said - we've all wrestled with at at one time. It does get easier.
    Peace.
    Russell