1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help putting 7''6" western on snowmobile trailer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PROPJCKEY, Mar 15, 2004.

1. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

Alright boys,

While I am very Mcguyverish, many heads are better than one.
    We are heading up to our house in norhtern Wisconsin this Thursday for one last "boys only" snowmobile trip. Here's the dilema. Last time we went I nearly got stuck getting in our driveway because I was towing a 4 place trailer that was full. This time I would like to throw (I wish!) my Ultra-mount on the trailer so I can plow out the drive. Currently, via the neighbor, there is 12-15" down. The drive is about 5-600" feet long and twisty. So......since only three of us are going, I have room for the blade. Problem is, I can fork it on the trailer here but have no way to get it off up there!.......Ideas? I was thinking of the old cable and come-a-long over the tree thing but think theremight be an easier way...talk to me!

-Doc-:confused:

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

why dont you just attach it and drive up with it on

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Engine hoist?:waving:

4. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

Woried that if I drive it up there I will overheat (towing trailer) and will only be able to go 55-60 mph. This adds roughly and hour and twenty minutes to our trip! Engine hoist is good idea but, I don't have one up north!
    -Doc-

5. The come-a-long around the tree will work to get it off but you still have to put it back on up there when you are done with it.
    How about finding someone up there to forklift it off and then back on when you are done and throw him a few bucks. I am sure there must be someone within a reasonable distance from your place.
    Kev

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Can't the three of you lift it? Two of us put my Western 7'6" straight blade in the back of my S15.... not familiar with the ultramount... kinda sounds like my BOSS RTII (everything stays attached to the blade)?? probably a wee bit heavy then.

What about hitching and unhitching the blade from on the trailer? ie: block the wheels of the trailer (chain it to the tree if necessary) and drive into the receiver, even if it means bringing some 2x4's or something to drive on to get the height right...

Just an idea....

7. A couple of things come to mind.
    Does any of your neighbors have a tractor with a front end loader to lift it off and then back on?
    Could you stop at a garage in a town near your place and have them lift it off with their tow truck?
    Do you pass a tractor dealership in a town near you? Could you ask them to unload it for you?
    Could you slide it off with a couple of planks?
    Could a neighbor up there plow for you and you give them something for it? or do something for them?
    I have just been told there is over 2 feet of snow in my driveway up there since I last plowed a couple of weeks ago.

8. mpflood

mpflood Member

lol

i wish i had this guys problems:salute:

9. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

leave the blade on your truck and have one of your buddies tow trailer with there truck,another is put the blade in your truck bed,thats how we do it then we all grab on and put on ground....

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Are you using your come along to lift or to drag the plow off? You could use a manual hoist the same way. I don't think it could get much easier, unless you use an electric hoist. Then just leave the chain padlocked to the limb. The next time, all you need to do is hook the hoist to the chain.

11. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Could you... bring a couple of planks and drive up a snowbank next to, or behind the trailer, and just set the plow down on the trailer? Of course you would have to shave the back side of the snowbank to get the trailer close? Just a crazy thought, but it may work. Or you could park the truck somewhere else, and just drive the sleds down.

12. mole

mole Senior Member

This is too much trouble for an extra hr drive. Just drive with it on and keep it angled. by the time u find sombody to get it off and back on it will have been an hour.

13. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

STEP ONE : DRIVE TO WHERE YOURE GOING WITH THE PLOW WHERE EVER YOU CAN PUT IT .

STEP TWO : HOOK ONE END OF A CHAIN TO ANY TREE AND THE OTHER END TO THE PLOW .

STEP THREE: START UP THE TRUCK AND GIVE IT GAS !!! DONE.

HOPE THIS HELPS ..

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

How does he get it back in the bed?

15. Don.EMS

Don.EMS Junior Member

Lower the blade onto 2 furnture dollys and wheel it up on to the trailer. Or just call a local plow dude where your going and have him plow your driveway.

16. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

very easy to get back into bed,
    have your buddies lift one end into bed then back up this is called balance

17. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

Problem is, I can fork it on the trailer here but have no way to get it off up there!.......Ideas? I was thinking of the old cable and come-a-long over the tree thing but think theremight be an easier way...talk to me!

By the way Doc ... ya might want to pick up a used blade and leave it up there for next year .

18. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

How high is the snowmobile trailer?
    Cant you make some ramps that sit on the ground that you can bring along?
    Set them behind the trailer and drive the truck up onto them to get the front of the truck high enough to drop the blade onto the trailer.

19. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

To get the plow on the trailer, drop it on its face in front of a tree.
    lift one end up and drop it on your trailer. Then just like when the pyramids were built, get you some thick thick thick dowels, maybe clothes closet rod, (wood) put them under the plow end that is on your trailer and back up slowly so that you roll the plow onto the trailer. When you hit the equilibrium point, the plow will flip up on the trailer. and you are done. To get the plow off the trailer, use your nylon tow belt or comealong. One end goes AROUND the tree and ties onto your trailer frame member. The other end ties into your plow. As you pull away slowly, your nylon tow strap will slowly pull the plow off the trailer. And then you will be done.....

Enjoy.

20. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

How much does the plow weigh? 700, 800 more? My best advice would be to get a few more guys and lift it into the trailer. Then maybe the three of you and maybe a couple neighbors up in wisconsin can lift it out.