1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help - Pro Plus loosing pressure

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by EGLC, Feb 1, 2011.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2009 8'6 pro plus, the passenger side piston, the end nut with gasket came loose and leaked out hydro fluid. (in blue) anyway its stopped leaking and I put over 1qt of fluid in and now it seems like its loosing pressure? when my guy was plowing the blade would not stay straight for him at all.

If anyone can help we're supposed to get hammered here tonight! :eek:

8'proplus 003.b.jpg

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

it has some air left in it. leave the plow down, fill it full. leave it down. angle all the way 10 times. fill it again. leave it down. angle 10 times more and fill it again.

by the way leave it down.

3. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

thanks so much for the help!!!

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

It may well be air in the system but if purging and topping up doesn't resolve it you may have some dirt in a valve. Dirt would prevent the valve from closeing completly allowing fluid to escape under pressure when pushing snow.

Why do you call the fluid hydro? I have seen this several times on this site. Hydro is means water ie" hydrate or hydro electric = electricity generated as water flows down from a dam through a turbine. The blue Western fluid is a petrolium distilate.

5. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

we call it hydro - short for hydraulic fluid...

6. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

i was going to say maybe he's from canadia eh, but i see he's from jersey. :laughing:

off topic, i live in pa and can go into jersey all day for free, but it costs money to get into pa from jersey on some roads!! lol.

7. mishnick

Thanks "youall" for the Amarican English lesson eh, that makes sence to me now. That is the hydro thing...

8. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

how about the line, "all ya'll" haha. thats big around my area.

9. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

here in jerzey we talks proper like. no say "you'all"

by the way to stay somewhat on topic I tried what you guys suggested and the blade seemed to be a little faster however the pistons were still "mushy" when pushing hard packed ice.....thoughts? i looked in there and notice a little bit of foam but not much and did you what you guys had suggested again...i really don't want to open this thing up if i don't have too...

10. mishnick

If you don't want to open it up then just keep running it. If it is just air in the system it will work it's way out. The only thing that can make it mushy is air. If it leaks back when you are pushing then it could be bad check valves or a pressure relief valve that is set too low allowing fluid to leak back to the reservoir. It's not leaking any more right? If there is fluid leaking out it is possible for air to leak in as well.

11. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

its not leaking, no way for air to get in everything is tightened up good....guess in spring I'll open her up and see whats up