1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help pricing small lot.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by srl28, Dec 28, 2009.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Had one of our commercial landscape clients call and say there other guy was a no show for the snow and they want us to take them on. Small lot, couple sidewalks to be shoveled, say 200ft worth if that. Trying to get a decent google earth pic up but no luck yet. Lot is flat, pretty square and easy, Id estimate its about 25 spaces. Any idea on a per push price?

2. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

3. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

You shouldn't put up addresses because other will go price it and try to take it.

4. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

True, however this is a very loyal customer, person I deal with is the owner of the building and just rents the building. However good advice, not used to google maps, always used google earth.

5. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

without salt I would be around $350 up to 10 inches.

6. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

plow/walks: min 35 (1-3); 45 (3-6); 60 (6-10); min+75/hr (10+)

rock salt would add another 30-35 (figure around 200#)
    safety salt would be about about 10lbs or so, add another 5

1-3" would be around $70-75 plow/walks/auto salt

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's way high. At least for my area. I would have to do the lot for $65-80. It would be on a 1" trigger, and I would plow it each time 5-6" at the most piles up. Sidewalks would be an additional $30-40. Salt would be around $80/app. Sidewalk salt would be calcium chloride applied at about $0.70/lb. Probably would cost about $15-20 to salt the walks. So total price everything included, I would say about $190 for lets say a 3" storm.

8. toptech72

toptech72 Member
    from 21078

It would bring around $325 in my area up to 4 inches. Just goes to show you the difference in pricing.

9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I was thinking $200 all in up to 6", $250 up to 8", $325 up to 10", $425 up to 12".

10. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

figure 75 for the sidewalks, most of the sidewalks are righ up againts 2 lanes which means when the town or county plows the road you are going to have 3 times as much snow on that sidewalk. 75 to salt the lot and 200 to plow it. Also that would include 20 fiberglass markout stakes for the season(customers love when you throw them in the deal!) when you break it down its not that much for here in NJ. I have lots that size that I get up to $600 to do up to 8 inches.

There are 2 reasons why we are expensive here in NJ. We dont get alot of snow during the winter so you have to give up going away all winter to possibly not make any money and actually lose money because of the preseason stuff. NJ is one of the most expensive places in the USA to live. Taxes, Insurance are outrageous, plus maintenence and preseason setup. So roll that all up and try to run a legitimate buisness here in NJ and you will see why plowing prices differ so much here.
    on a side note the reason why I have that one account for $600 is the last guy was doing it for $900!
    and I got it because he didnt show up until 12 hours after the storm(which is unacceptable for a commercial account here)

11. toptech72

toptech72 Member
    from 21078

"There are 2 reasons why we are expensive here in NJ"

Your not expensive your just in a area the can charge a higher rate. Things here in MD are not much different. I see the post from the guys up north talking about charging $55- 65 an hour for plowing and i cant believe it. We are paying a sub with a 1/2 ton with a 7 1/2 foot plow $65 and he would make more if he had a spreader. We picked up a driveway this year from a couple that moved here over the summer from up north. I thought the guy was going to have a heart attack when we told him $85 to do it. And then when he asked about seasonal pricing and i told him we dont offer it he was lost. It was hard to explain to him why we charge more for our service in a place that gets little to no snow than where he came from that had snow alot more often.

12. burlingtonplow

burlingtonplow Member

Why do you charge more in the south?

13. platinumdetails

platinumdetails Junior Member
    from Maine

I agree with repoman. but like you guys said its all about the area your from

14. platinumdetails

platinumdetails Junior Member
    from Maine

sounds good to me

15. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

In SE MI I'd be lucky to get 40 for that lot and 30 to salt. I'm doing a 5 acre Lowes Home Improvement for 450/push.

16. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like im bidding $449.50 for that Lowes next year...:laughing::laughing:

17. lawnprolawns

Shhh you weren't supposed to see this. It's actually not mine, I sub it from someone. I dont know what they're charging.. lol

18. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I know...I will PM him later and shoot him some prices....:laughing::laughing::gunsfiring:

19. lawnprolawns

Sounds good.. lol

20. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

on a side note the reason why I have that one account for $600 is the last guy was doing it for $900!
    and I got it because he didnt show up until 12 hours after the storm(which is unacceptable for a commercial account here)[/QUOTE]

Anyone else think its kinda funny that hes proud of leaving $ 300 on the table while offering better service?????

Ever think you got the job cause your 2/3 the price of the other guy, and they figure "Hell lets see if this guy is any better and if hes not we'll bring in someone else?" Cant be any worse since the last guy didnt show up for 12 hours!!!!!!

Your right about how ridiculous the costs of service in NJ are, but to be proud that you left 1/3 of your paycheck on the table, instead of saying, "hey give me $ 900 and I'll be here in less then two hours" doesnt speak much for your business sense.