1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Pricing for Salt

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CFMowing, Feb 16, 2013.

1. CFMowing

CFMowing Junior Member

I understand about contracting out with commercial businesses. What I would like to know is pricing for salt. I charge $15 per 50lbs...BUT for the sake of argument lets say on average it snows 15 times and I have to salt that many times. With a contract do I get bent over if it snows 30 times and I am then paying for salt, or do I tell the business I am charging per visit?

I guess a better way to ask is how do you charge for salting with a contract?
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

There are always more salting events then plowing. If you know the average # of salts per year and you get a multi year contract in the end it all works out. If you have a 1 year contract usually someone comes out losing.
  3. CFMowing

CFMowing Junior Member

thanks for the post first off. Secondly...I live in Columbus Ohio and theoretically I should have to go out 18 times (2+ inches, willl I? Probably not), but what you’re saying is for a 3 year contract charge them 54 times? Or if they want it for less than 2 inches add that in to?

I know these might be stupid questions, but this is my first year doing this and I would like to be prepared for the years to come. So thanks for you help!
  4. bosman

bosman Senior Member

If you are charging by the bag and your contract states your price, then you charge by the bag whether you are there once or 50. The only way you get bent over is when the customer doesn't pay.

BTW, probably shouldn't spread salt on 2" of snow, plow first and then spread.
  5. CFMowing

CFMowing Junior Member

I do plow first...sorry I worded that pretty bad!