1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help pricing chemicals for sidewalk

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by guitarman2420, Dec 27, 2011.

1. guitarman2420

guitarman2420 Junior Member

I am totally new in the snow removal arena. I am a landscaper that has been in business @ 5 years and I purchased a snow plow this season to support a new large contract that I have for a town house community. I have another opportunity for snow removal of the sidewalks in another community. The dimensions are 3000 feet by 5 feet @ 15k sq feet. I'm estimating 25 bags of chemical at $8.05 a bag for Eco-Safe Ice Melt from my local supplier. My question is what should I charge for applying it? The supplier indicated that 2 X the cost of the chemicals was appropriate. That sounds high. I can run a spreader over the entire sidewalk area in @ 30 minutes. Any help would be appreciated. I am figuring $300 for the snow removal itself. The snow in Mid-Virginia is episodic, no one wants a contract for regular snow removal - just pay as you go. Typical snow is 3-4", with an occasional dump of 8-12". In the past 3 years we have had one large snow of 8-12".
  2. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

3. guitarman2420

guitarman2420 Junior Member

Is a regular, commercial type, broadcast spreader, fully opened, suitable for this kind of job, or is there a better tool? Also, to clear the sidewalk, what would be a good, cost effective option? I have a Wright Stander mower unit. I understand you can get a plow for the front of it for @ 2k. Has anyone used something like this for sidewalks, or would a snow blower be the answer?
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Snow and ice management package

Check out our snow and ice management package. It will take all the guesswork out of your bidding process.

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package Includes:

#1 Snow & Ice Management Manual � this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who�s first, proposal formats, don�t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD � calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.

I will actually be in Virginia doing a seminar on January 30 in Newport News, VA at the Marriott City Center sponsored by Mid-Atlantic Hort. Show. One of my presentations will be on Snow & Ice Management. Check out their web site for details or give me a call.
  5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Application rate is too high

There is no way you need 1250 pounds of ice melter for 15k. Please give us a call on Wednesday at 800-845-0499 and we will help you. You do not need to purchase anything.