1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Pricing 100,000 S.F. Sidewalk Pavers

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by keepinitclean, Nov 13, 2006.

1. keepinitclean

keepinitclean Junior Member

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and need help in pricing 100,000 sq. ft. of sidewalk pavers throughout an outdoor shopping center.

We live in Central Oregon and our snow season goes from November to March. The annual snowfall average is about 64 inches and about 20 + storms.

What equipment would you recommend? We are thinking of using a toolcat, skid loader, 2 snow blowers and 2 shovels.

Do you recommend bidding per square foot, per storm or per hour? And how much for each?

Thanks in advance,
    Sam & Amy
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you've got more than enough equipment lined up. I'd recommend a broom on either the Toolcat or SS, would almost think just one would be enough. can't help with amount of time, haven't used a broom on that much area. Heavier snowfalls may require a plow, I'd recommend a urethane edge to prevent damage to the pavers, could be followed up by the broom.

How wide or narrow are the areas you need to get into?

For pricing, I would stay away from hourly unless you are really unsure of time estimates. With hourly, you'll never be able to make more money by being efficient, but you won't lose money either. I sort of leave the contract up to the customer and what they want--seasonal, per push or combination. I try to stay away from strictly per push because I don't recover any of my costs if it doesn't snow at all. Try to estimate how long it will take to plow, sweep or shovel this area and use that.

Hourly rates would be based on your normal hourly rate for equipment and labor PLUS additional for providing an emergency service in crappy weather, at any time of the day and having all that equipment and labor available at any time. I like to get a premium for plowing, although that is harder to do with the way some of the idiots around me are bidding. Rates are extremely regional, so I could say one rate and be way high for your area or way low, try to speak with an established snow services provider and tell them you don't want to be a lowballer and ask for help.

PS You know a guy by the name of Ed Bartz at Eco-Scapes?
  3. keepinitclean

Thank you Mark,

I appreciate you getting back to us. The sidewalks vary from 12 - 20 ft wide with a few courtyards throughout 15 acres.

We are familiar with Eco-Scapes but do not know Ed Bartz.

Thanks Again,
    Sam & Amy
  4. keepinitclean

Were thinking of going with a bid for the whole season. with an avg of 20+ storms per season w/ 3+ inch strorms. 100,000sq.ft of paver sidewalk 12- 20 ft, courtyards, and many roofs that will dump piles of snow right on top of the pavers in 70% of the place. were thinking with equip,labor, salt, fuel, maint, and travel( 40 rnd trip) around $4500 per storm, or 90,0000 for the season. Does this sound right or an I crazy. All walks have to be clear by 10:00am. So I think we will be starting around 2am, and workin till or through 10am. Thanks Sam :help: :dizzy: