1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

** HELP ** Power Steering Pully

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bbest, Sep 6, 2003.

1. bbest

bbest Junior Member
    from Florida

I have a 98 chevy 2500 van with 305 engine and I am trying to replace the power steering pump. I can not seem to break loose the pully. It has a 3/8 hex hole in the middle. I have broken one 3/8 hex socket on it and it won't budge.
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

They don't come loose like that. The pullies are pressed on. I rented a puller from autozone. It cost like $40, but you get it all back when you return the tool, definately worth the trip down there and back. You can pull the pulley in about 5 minutes or less!
  3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

If it is like my 93 you have to remove the pulley from the unit before the pump will come out. Like Snowybowtie said go to autozone and get a power steering pump pulley remover. You also hafto use that tool to reinstall the pulley. What a PITA i had lots of fun doing mine:rolleyes: you have to reuse the reservoir too i believe. Then reinstalling you have to put the pump on and bolt it up and then reinstall the pulley using the tool. Good luck!!
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

The other guys summed it up nicely.Not positive,but on most of the newer Chevy'syou need to get the pulley off to get the pump off.Check with your local parts store,they will have the puller to borrow\rent.

Run a tap into the threads in the pump shaft before using the puller,or it may strip or cross thread,and damage the tool and\or pump.If you need anymore help using the tool,let me know.
  5. bbest

bbest Junior Member
    from Florida

Thank you all for the information.